• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone have guns?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
As the mod JUST said…plenty of other threads...

indeed there are, thanks for the advice, i didn't know...
it just so happens i wanted to post upon this one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
this is actually a freaky thread for me and it is probably based upon geography. In the UK guns are such a no no and talk of them is deeply un popular. In fact over the years i have seen a big big decrease in the number of toy guns that are now being sold in the UK. Although perversely, an increase in the number of 'killing' games now available on PS3 etc..and it always amazes me, that society still accepts it.

i am also always amazed that the gun lobbyist's don't realise that actually owning guns, increases the risk of someone, somewhere using them for a crime....

anyway, there are only 3 types of guns that i can think of without google...

Walter PPK - because James Bond has one
Magnum 45 - because Clint Eastwood has one
Kolashnikov - because the russian chap who invented it, died recently

interesting thread though...

Aside from the political chatter that was already covered...

Bond carried a Walther PPK, and more recently the P99 and PPS.

Clint Eastwood's character, "Dirty" Harry Callahan, carried .44 Magnum pistols including a Smith and Wesson Model 29 and a .44 AutoMag Custom.

Mikhail Kalashnikov designed the famous Soviet weapon and is still alive unless I missed something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
Aside from the political chatter that was already covered...

Bond carried a Walther PPK, and more recently the P99 and PPS.

Clint Eastwood's character, "Dirty" Harry Callahan, carried .44 Magnum pistols including a Smith and Wesson Model 29 and a .44 AutoMag Custom.

Mikhail Kalashnikov designed the famous Soviet weapon and is still alive unless I missed something.

thanks for the clarification, i did say i didn't know much about guns....and as it is proved...i don't

J;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

Still alive @ 92. The originator of my favorite engineering quote.

"All that is good is simple and all that is simple is good." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

"All that is good is simple and all that is simple is good." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

yeah, i thought i had read that he had died recently, but i will have to google this to find the article that i read.....and thought he had passed away..

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

His actual quote was "Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." Fits Macs well.

I like this quote from him: "I am still ready to shake hands with anyone who designs a better assault rifle than mine." :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My apologies BTW for my earlier thread diversions. Didn't really see it or intend it as anti-gun, but in view of the thread topic and history, I can easily see how it might trigger (pun intended) those kind of posts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
His actual quote was "Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." Fits Macs well.

I like this quote from him: "I am still ready to shake hands with anyone who designs a better assault rifle than mine." :)

Ahhh well, I hate it when I get an inaccurate quote. In general though, it tends to not fit either hardware or software engineering ;)

Now back to guns.. believe it or not, I believe that the AK-47 and M-16 variants are about on par in actual use. Where the AK-47 shines is the fact that they're so brutally simple they were pounded out (literally) in the millions, and disseminated almost freely world-wide (by the soviets and various other governments). Of the two current versions, I'd rather haul an M4 than an AK-103.

Reaction score

PPKS was my goto ankle carry for years. still have it and a blued PPK. As reliable as the day is long. HEAVY gun for it's size though. Replaced it with my Kahr CW9 just two years ago due to weight and preference for 9mm over .380. Still shoot my Walthers on occasion, though, and enjoy every second.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPKS was my goto ankle carry for years. still have it and a blued PPK. As reliable as the day is long. HEAVY gun for it's size though. Replaced it with my Kahr CW9 just two years ago due to weight and preference for 9mm over .380. Still shoot my Walthers on occasion, though, and enjoy every second.
lemme see.. the 1911a1 was supplanted as my personal carry (although I still own it, and I don't bother to carry often) by a 9mm XD. Same basic idea, weight. It matters.

Reaction score
lemme see.. the 1911a1 was supplanted as my personal carry (although I still own it, and I don't bother to carry often) by a 9mm XD. Same basic idea, weight. It matters.

Definitely one of the downsides of the 1911. My CDP is pretty light, but I couldn't imagine daily carry of my full size Kimber Eclipse!

Heard so many good things about the XD. Like the way it shoots? Never shot one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I wish I could own a gun, but I am in a big city, and it causes a lot of work to have a gun. And they are basically completely illegal here. But my Dad lives out in a more country like place, and you are allowed to have a gun with a gun with legal documents. My dad have been saving up extra money for a gun safe, and we will get a cheep .22 sometime and just have fun shooting targets. That is the point of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A .22 is such a hoot to shoot. Use to be you could play around all day and send 500 rounds down range for less than $5.00. Now it's more like $10 or $20. Still fun though. It's an election year, so I'm sure those prices will be going up again before too long. Buy early, buy often, buy in bulk! Lots of places online have free shipping on ammo for the holidays when you buy in bulk.

Reaction score
A .22 is such a hoot to shoot. Use to be you could play around all day and send 500 rounds down range for less than $5.00. Now it's more like $10 or $20. Still fun though. It's an election year, so I'm sure those prices will be going up again before too long. Buy early, buy often, buy in bulk! Lots of places online have free shipping on ammo for the holidays when you buy in bulk.

Ain't THAT the truth! Love my Ruger MK II!

A number of years ago when k-mart decided to drop guns/ammo sales, they clearanced a bunch of ammo. I bought multiple bricks of CCI .22LR. for something like $1.25/500 rds. Still have some in my climate controlled lock-box.

I could shoot that stuff all day!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
In my country I cannot own one. Only cops and criminals can carry a gun :(

If I could it would be the Wiley from Death Wish three :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz, i5, 8gb 13"
When I carry, I use my Glock 26 (compact 9mm). For tactical shooting I use a Glock 19. But I also enjoy my Ruger MK III and Taurus .357.

Oh, what my neighbors don't know about me..... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
When I carry, I use my Glock 26 (compact 9mm). For tactical shooting I use a Glock 19. But I also enjoy my Ruger MK III and Taurus .357.

Oh, what my neighbors don't know about me..... :)

Of all the pistols I have owned the Glocks are my favorite and their survival knife is a great bang for the buck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of all the pistols I have owned the Glocks are my favorite and their survival knife is a great bang for the buck.

They really are a great tool...

Merry Christmas to ME! Snagged this one the day before Christmas as a backup to my other G19. It's nice to have something that takes the same ammunition, same holsters, same magazines, carries the same, and shoots to same POI as one's main gun in the event it gets seized as evidence in a defensive shooting. Though I prefer 1911's and snubbies, the compact and sub-compact Glocks are no-brainers when it comes to comfortable, discrete formidable carry.

web.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely one of the downsides of the 1911. My CDP is pretty light, but I couldn't imagine daily carry of my full size Kimber Eclipse!

Heard so many good things about the XD. Like the way it shoots? Never shot one.

Sorry, I missed this. I very much like my XD. It's a fun shooter, to be sure. I think it's a great combination of Sig, 1911 and Glock. (I just can't come to terms with the Glock's grip angle. Just can't do it.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.