• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone have guns?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
In an interesting development, Google Shopping has removed firearms and ammunition from it's search results. Go a search on Glock 19, AR-15, Sig P226, etc and you get no results at all most of the time. If you specifically plug in a firearm name and a part name, then you get a few hits. I got one ammunition hit for 9mm Silvertip and then a bunch of earrings??? AK-47 folding stock turned up nothing. Basically, it's almost the equivalent of looking for gun stuff on eBay - very few items and nothing "black, scary or intimidating". I feel so much safer now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In an interesting development, Google Shopping has removed firearms and ammunition from it's search results. Go a search on Glock 19, AR-15, Sig P226, etc and you get no results at all most of the time. If you specifically plug in a firearm name and a part name, then you get a few hits. I got one ammunition hit for 9mm Silvertip and then a bunch of earrings??? AK-47 folding stock turned up nothing. Basically, it's almost the equivalent of looking for gun stuff on eBay - very few items and nothing "black, scary or intimidating". I feel so much safer now.

The world gets more & more conservative everyday!

Pretty soon you won't be able to buy peanut butter due to 0.000001% of the population having peanut allergies!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
And yet there are twice as many gun shows on TV than 2years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I need help with something. I'm about to purchase a 1911, but can't make up my mind. It's down between a Ruger SR1911, and a Kimber Custom 2. Both are new, and both are pretty close in price, depending on where I get it, to where it isn't a factor. The stock sights are better on the Ruger, as well as the looks. The magazine on the Kimber is HORRIBLE, unlike the Ruger. Both are chambering in .45. My guts say to go with the Ruger, as do reviews, but all people at the stores say this: "It's a Kimber!" as in it's good stuff. I've held both guns, and they are pretty much the same...I can aim them straight as a laser with my eyes closed. I didn't think I would have such a hard time deciding.

Anyone have an opinion here? It would be much appreciated. I'm hoping to get either one hopefully as soon as this Monday, and will be trading in my CZ-75 P07 Duty for it, along with some $$. Other suggestions are welcome for a 1911 variant, as long as it's ~$700-$800.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both are alternately well-regarded/hated like any other 1911. I'd personally go with the Ruger having owned excellent and reliable items from them in the past (22/45, 10/22, GP100, SP-101). Ruger makes some great products and stands behind them - no sweat, no hassle. Then again, great CS and a lifetime warranty doesn't mean jack if you have to use it "for real" and it doesn't work. Having never owned a Kimber, I can't really comment on them. I'm more of a G.I. configuration 1911-guy, but if I went for extended doo-dad's and enhanced so-and so's on a 1911, I'd probably snag a Ruger and hot-blue it all the same color. FWIW - my 1911 is an old Norinco 1911-A1 I've been hauling around since 1993.

1911forums.com is probably your best resource on the topic.

Reaction score
I routinely carry a CDP Ultra and also have a stainless .40 Ultra Carry and and Eclipse Ultra II and an Eclipse Pro II. I've not shot the Custom, but my experience with my other Kimber's has been nothing short of stellar, with the exception that my .40 is a bit finicky on the ammo it likes to be fed.

Haven't had a Ruger in quite some time, so probably not the one to comment there.

Anyone at a range you can borrow one of each? Have a range nearby that rents?

I need help with something. I'm about to purchase a 1911, but can't make up my mind. It's down between a Ruger SR1911, and a Kimber Custom 2. Both are new, and both are pretty close in price, depending on where I get it, to where it isn't a factor. The stock sights are better on the Ruger, as well as the looks. The magazine on the Kimber is HORRIBLE, unlike the Ruger. Both are chambering in .45. My guts say to go with the Ruger, as do reviews, but all people at the stores say this: "It's a Kimber!" as in it's good stuff. I've held both guns, and they are pretty much the same...I can aim them straight as a laser with my eyes closed. I didn't think I would have such a hard time deciding.

Anyone have an opinion here? It would be much appreciated. I'm hoping to get either one hopefully as soon as this Monday, and will be trading in my CZ-75 P07 Duty for it, along with some $$. Other suggestions are welcome for a 1911 variant, as long as it's ~$700-$800.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Both are alternately well-regarded/hated like any other 1911. I'd personally go with the Ruger having owned excellent and reliable items from them in the past (22/45, 10/22, GP100, SP-101). Ruger makes some great products and stands behind them - no sweat, no hassle. Then again, great CS and a lifetime warranty doesn't mean jack if you have to use it "for real" and it doesn't work. Having never owned a Kimber, I can't really comment on them. I'm more of a G.I. configuration 1911-guy, but if I went for extended doo-dad's and enhanced so-and so's on a 1911, I'd probably snag a Ruger and hot-blue it all the same color. FWIW - my 1911 is an old Norinco 1911-A1 I've been hauling around since 1993.

1911forums.com is probably your best resource on the topic.

Thanks for the advice. Am already a member on there. Either I haven't found the right article yet, or there isn't a good comparison thread. Searching for each gun on the forum individually only yield to good feedback...as expected. I just have the feeling like my gut would prefer the Ruger, I don't know why...maybe because the first handgun I ever shot was a Ruger? I don't know. I know the SR1911 is hard to find locally, which is something I would rather due instead of purchasing via GunBroker. I'm going to keep on investigating.

I routinely carry a CDP Ultra and also have a stainless .40 Ultra Carry and and Eclipse Ultra II and an Eclipse Pro II. I've not shot the Custom, but my experience with my other Kimber's has been nothing short of stellar, with the exception that my .40 is a bit finicky on the ammo it likes to be fed.

Haven't had a Ruger in quite some time, so probably not the one to comment there.

Anyone at a range you can borrow one of each? Have a range nearby that rents?

Unfortunately, non of my local ranges have either gun available to rent. Each have one of the guns I want, but they won't rent. They all have the Springfields though.

There are a few things I believe are better on the Kimber: more match grade parts, though that doesn't mean that the SR1911 is worse. The CustomII has a full length guide rod. I've been reading into guide rod lengths, and they pretty much say don't buy a gun because of it's guide rod length, but I still kind of prefer a full length guide rod, which doesn't Ruger SR1911 doesn't have stock.
From handling both guns yesterday, I believe the CustomII is the tighter, better fitting gun, especially with its straight moving trigger that was no wiggle play, even though it's perfectly fine to have trigger wiggle play on a 1911.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've basically made up my mind. I'm going with the Ruger, unless there's a good deal on something else that wasn't available when I checked last time. The reviews on that Kimber show so-so performance, while Ruger has compliments coming left and right. I was just heavily drawn to the Kimber brand for its name I guess. Maybe one day I will invest in their higher grade 1911 choices, but it won't be for the CustomII. I've basically dedicated all of tomorrow to hunting the best deal on that gun and a few accessories, as well as range time. Really looking forward to it.
W7355_SI_Ruger1911_HDR9CLIP1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have owned several Ruger's and never had a problem and miss my mini 14 that was stolen .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have owned several Ruger's and never had a problem and miss my mini 14 that was stolen .

I love the Mini-14 range, especially the Target model. I just wish it was a bit cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What's up my furry little friends:D

Guess what I got? :)
20120829-jyjjw7pd74qnttfgup896dije9.jpg

I couldn't get myself to actually buy something else. It reminded me of when I was contemplating on getting my first(modern) Mac(MacBook Pro). As with the MBP, I am SOOO glad I went with the Kimber Custom II. I bought two KimPro magazines, and will be purchasing some fiber optic sights for at least the front. I also made a cool friend at the gun shop. Today was a SWEET day!

I don't have a good enough stick to prop up the gun, or else you could see the cool-looking magazine extender.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I am in absolute LOVE with this Kimber! Went to the range today...they were closed yesterday, and shot 200 rounds through it. Mixed it up with 4 boxes of 50 rounds from Remington, American Eagle, MagTech, and Sellier and Sallier & Bellot. All were 230grain. American Eagle and MagTech were crap. Remington and S&B were darn accurate at 35 yards. THe AE and MagTech rounds seemed to have a mind of their own, as well as being dirtier. The Remington and S&B always went where you aimed, with the Remington being really clean. My first shot from S&B box was a bullseye at 35yards. I almost did a backflip. Everything else followed within a ~3" span consisting of about 30 rounds of S&B. I think I know what ammo I need to buy in bulk now:)

Had no problems at all with the 200 rounds I put through it, not even with the crappy standard mag that it comes with.

I bought some accesories for it too. I had bought a KimPro mag, but it kept on snagging when trying to release the slide. The guy said it was normal, but it sure didn't feel normal trying to force the slide forward with 7 rounds of .45 ammo. He wouldn't return it at first, and claimed that you can't return used mags, so I called him out on his bull. I was planning on trying something else at their store, but they lost my money.

I went to my local range(Hickory Ridge Firearms...best range I've ever been to), and bought 2 Wilson Combat mags and...PERFECT. I would've slapped that guy that claimed that sticking crap was normal.

I also ordered a few parts:
-TruGlo Tritium fiber optic sights
-1911 Compensator
-Maglula speed loader
-Pearce grip surround
-Custom Kimber carved wood grips(looks amazing imo)
- and a Kimber decal for my car:)

I can't wait for them to come in!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on the new piece. Get yourself a few 1000rd cases of ammunition before it gets too close to election time. It took 2 years for prices to come down last time and they never did return to anything near pre-2008 prices. It's tough to beat a 1911 in 45ACP...

45%20ACP%20Because%20Shooting%20Twice%20is%20Silly.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Thanks! I'm snagging that pic quote:D I might buy 1000rds, but probably not more. I'm still eyeing a Retina MBP, and will be waiting for the refurb options to come out so I can see the price difference of a 2.6GHz/256GB/16GB model. I saved up for it ($2500), but am honestly having a tough time letting the money go on a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
I use a .45 Colt Commander for my carry gun. Absolutely love the 1911.

1911002.jpg

If you're interested in using it as a carry gun check out Crossbreed Holsters. The supertuck deluxe is a great holster and makes carrying a weapon very comfortable. Even if your not into guns watch this review!!

Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster (female review & demo) - YouTube

45_because_they_dont_make_a_46_postcard-p239460727320968929baanr_400.jpg

mailbox_01.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Thanks, I'll look at that when I get my CCP...eventually. Carrying isn't really on my to-do list any time soon. I'm looking for a nice permanent car holster though.

I did manage to order a few more parts;
-Colt stainless steel mainspring housing and mag well in chain-link pattern.
-wilson combat extended bases
-stainless screws
-and wilson combat shock buffer.
I can't wait to put it all together!

Reaction score
Reading this thread is just really weird for me.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing I did invest in was many clips it comes in handy when the range has a time limit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S

Why? I'm curious to the thoughts from other countries and cultures. For MANY in this country guns is something that you grow up around your entire life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

I do so agree and was actually going to comment yesterday, but was in a prick of a mood so decided not to.

Why? I'm curious to the thoughts from other countries and cultures. For MANY in this country guns is something that you grow up around your entire life.

But to anser this, i suppose its because we DONT NEED to carry a weapon on our person to feel safe. I have grown up with rifles all my life, having grown up on a farm and then joining the military, but unless yo are a paid up member of a Hand Gun Club, in Australia you are not allowed to own one. I can totally understand this, as to why would you need to carry a Hand Gun unless you are in a club.
Here down under there isnt the population to have the % up with murders and such crimes so i feel safer in my everyday life. Even the most Notorious place in Australia, Kings Cross in Sydney, i feel i can be on the streets @ 4am in the morning and not feel threatened. I ran a Backpackers there for 12 months and even though Dalinghurst road was closed off 3 times in 12 months because of murders, none where by Gun and as i said always felt safe.

Not sure how i would feel knowing someone has a gun in there pockert and could pull it at anytime and shoot me. You cant argue with a bullet, but i have a fighting chance when faced with someone with a knife.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.