Possible faulty CPU thermometer, common problem?

Reaction score
My 13" Macbook's fans are running at 6,000 rpms, full time after one minute of use. I've got Istat running, and the cpu thermometer reads over 170 degrees all the time, and the rest of them don't even reach 140. I thought it was a problem with that garbage optical drive since it spun even without a disc inserted, so I pulled that out, but the problem hasn't gotten any better (but at least my macbook's a bit lighter!).

I'm not running a lot of processes, and the cpu usage is rarely above 50%. Also, the macbook doesn't feel too hot like it usually would when the cpu is running hot. I've had this one since they first came out, about 3 or so years ago, but it just started this problem a couple weeks ago, and now the battery won't last through class, so I'm screwed.

The only thing left that I can think of is that the thermometer on the cpu itself has gone south. Is this a common problem? Is it fixable? Any other ideas as to what the problem could be? Thanks all.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Are you using an software that changes the fans speeds?

OP
D
Reaction score
nope. nothing like that. i do notice 40% system processes though. never really paid much attention to system processes before. is that normal?

OP
D
Reaction score
wow, talk about weird. all the sudden, my cpu is running at 10% and the temp is down to 106 degrees. problem solved, for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My 13" Macbook's fans are running at 6,000 rpms, full time after one minute of use. I've got Istat running, and the cpu thermometer reads over 170 degrees all the time, and the rest of them don't even reach 140. ...
The only thing left that I can think of is that the thermometer on the cpu itself has gone south. Is this a common problem? Is it fixable? Any other ideas as to what the problem could be? Thanks all.
The problem isn't your MacBook.
iStat is not the most reliable method for detecting temps or fan speeds, etc. It is okay for a general idea of things, but it is often inaccurate or just plain wrong with its measurements.
This is proven by your next statement:
wow, talk about weird. all the sudden, my cpu is running at 10% and the temp is down to 106 degrees. problem solved, for now.
Bottom line, don't pay too much attention to these things.
If there was a major problem, you would know it without a software monitoring app.

OP
D
Reaction score
i'm unsure of what you're saying there. there was a major problem because the fans were running full speed. I also used another program which confirmed istat's temp reading within a couple degrees.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.