Mac won't boot, install disks lost!

Reaction score
Hi,

My Macbook won't boot up. I've been to the Mac Genius bar and they say I should back up my files and reinstall the system software. Here are my problems.

1. I've lost the disks in a move :Oops: and Apple says they no longer have disks for my computer. Borrowed disks don't work :-D

2. I have loads of files I can't get to on my computer because it won't fully restart. When I restart the computer I get to the desktop, can see the dock when I mouse over it and have the apple menu in the top left corner but no menu items in the top right corner.

I need to figure out how I can get my files off the computer and then figure out how to reinstall the OS. Any ideas?

This is a Macbook bought in Aug 2006 running version 10.4.11
1.8GHz Intel Core Duo
512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Purchase Leopard full install DVD and see if you can Archive and Install after trying Repair Disk. Make sure you are mains powered and sadly it is possible your hdd has expired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 ,1.67 GHz,120 GB hard disk; Slot-Load SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
do what harry says or simply just upgarde to 10.5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.