CD-Drive broken

Reaction score
My friend has an imac and he got some trouble with an CD that didn't want to come out (cd: A), and he used another one to help (cd B) the A cd do come out. Then after a while it worked, the computer crashed and we had to re-format it

we tried to but in the OS X CD but the iMac just spitted it out, so my friend lost his head (to bad that didn't occur), anyway, I made one of my harddrives to an OS X cd and we got it formated, but the problem is stil with his CD-Drive

it's (90%sure) an 20inch late 2006 iMac, machine ID: iMac 5,1 (remember telling him that he could wait just one month more for the new iMac, but the white one looks better anyway :))

can you somehow fix it without changing it?

or if we have to change it
1. can you do it by yourself and to which cost of a new CD-Drive

2. how much does the "mac center" take to repair it? the warranty is OUT

but at least he has is head on the right spot :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
More information about the model of iMac will help us to help you. Second thing is that the CD (dvd?) that your friend's iMac spat out may not have been the right sort for that machine. What color is the disk; or is it the disk that came with the iMac when it was bought?

OP
HeroBiX
Reaction score
it's the model before they change the design to silver iMacs
He hasn't change the CD-Drive, and yes, it's an DVD-drive
always said CD-drive, so I will keep going with that :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
it's the model before they change the design to silver iMacs

Unfortunately that doesn't tell us much. Is it a G3 iMac, is it a G4 iMac, or is it a G5 iMac? What I suggest you do is download Mactracker Mactracker and look for your friend's iMac model there. That will give us the specifications once you've identified the model.

He hasn't change the CD-Drive, and yes, it's an DVD-drive

Which suggests it's a G4 or G5 iMac.

OP
HeroBiX
Reaction score
my friend, the ONCE before they change to the silver iMac that they sell now, I thought I was clear on that :)

but for fun
it's (90%sure) an 20inch late 2006 iMac, machine ID: iMac 5,1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.