Can you Recover Files after ...?

Reaction score
Hi!:Smirk:
Ok, so I did an "Erase and Install" Re-installation on my mac to make it work properly like if I just opened it from the box, ...and although I backed up some files that I need it, when I did the whole Re-Installation of OS X and was transfering all my "backed up files" I noticed that somehow some of them have been lost, specially pictures, somehow it did not backed up all the files I wanted to, ...which sucks!! big time..

So is there any way that even though I did the "Erase and Install" thing, I can recover files in the previous system (which is the same I just reinstalled) I know the other option would make a "Previous System" folder... but as you know I didn't chose that option...

Any advices would be of help !! thank you everyone !!:Oops:

its just frustating that it didn't back up everything ! and of course I didn't think it was going to happen to me...but you can never be too ready I guess.. so anyone doing a re intallation PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK..! hehe..

Thanks..O:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your files are probably gone forever since it's very likely they've been overwritten. It's a very costly process to restore files that have been overwritten and in most cases they can't be completely restored.

Live and learn. Next time use a good backup method like Time Machine or a cloning program. (Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Too late now but sounds like you needed to use Archive and Install where old system is saved as a folder. Erase and Install does just that - erases the disk and then installs new OS.

OP
alejandrina84
Reaction score
That's what I thought, I now I just wanted to see just in case, but Thank you for your responses! you are right...did and learned lol...

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
This is why an external drive is an absolute must have. You can back up the entire system, using say SuperDuper, on a weekly basis and everything is there on hand if there is again such a disaster. As is often quoted there are two types computer users .... those who have lost everything and those who are about to....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.