new mb vs prev gen mb pro

Reaction score
so can anyone weigh in on the new macbook vs the old (not old but prev generation) macbook pro? i am an avid and semi pro photpgrapher who uses lightroom regularly. it runs slow on my 4gb core 2 duo vista pc and i want to change to a mac for this reason. will the old macbook (slower ram, no dedicated graphics card), the new macbook, or the prev gen macbook pro (that can be had for 1399 brand new on apple.com as a clearaance item) suit me best. being honest when i am doing a large editing job ill use my 22" monitor so that is not an issue, but that being said the 15" vs 13" and the fact that I can get a matte screen on the mbp does appeal to me. my eyes arent what they used to be. can anyone help me make the decision?
ps looks like older macbook can be had for about 1000 (ebay)
new macbook for about 1400
prev gen mbp for about 1100-1400 (ebay to new on apple.com)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would go to the apple store and play around with the new MBs to see if your eyes can handle it.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
First, eBay is not a good idea.

In terms of power, I have seen the Vista ratings for both and they are pretty closely matched. I would go for the MB as it is a newer machine and has some pretty nice hardware. But the screen is an issue for some pros but as you said you have a screen for editing. The build quality if the current notebooks is amazing! I have had 3 MBPs and the new unibody is by far the best made!

Reaction score
If your looking in that range, I would go with the newer MB with the unibody, it has a dedicated video card so it will do much better than the older MB will. Not sure on the older MBPs. If you use the 22in for editing then the MB will be good for traveling light.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Gottria: The new MacBook does not have a dedicated video card. It has a much faster video chipset by nVidia, however, the chipset is integrated and uses 256 MB of shared memory. The MacBook Pro has a dedicated video card. Older generation MacBook uses an integrated chipset by Intel, the GMA X3100.

Regards.

Reaction score
Gottria: The new MacBook does not have a dedicated video card. It has a much faster video chipset by nVidia, however, the chipset is integrated and uses 256 MB of shared memory. The MacBook Pro has a dedicated video card. Older generation MacBook uses an integrated chipset by Intel, the GMA X3100.

Regards.

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification.

Reaction score
Previous gen MBP. Matt screen, dedicated graphics, and DVI output. Also 2 firewire ports. GO for it, and you will not regret it...

Reaction score
just own old mbp last week..the price drop..and hve to choose last minute coz mbp is left no more at store/reseller in Malaysia.. the new unibody is great! but the matt screen really score on this..which is my main reason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
New all the way!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
Well, I just sold my fully loaded march 08 17" MBP to buy the new Unibody 15 inch MBP, which I will likely sell as soon as the new 17's come out....

So NEW NEW NEW!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.