In-ears or regulars?

B

billiam

I have a 10 gig 3G iPod and I need to buy a new pair of headphones.

Which would you chose? In-ears (the ones the mini have) or the regular???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
In-ear are more comfortable and better sound

OP
N

NuKe

get the Bose QuietComfort 2 headphones, lol, I love mine. The sad thing is that they sound better than my full stereo system....

OP
M

meltbanana314

Bose products are overpriced for what they do. AcousticWave technology my ***. Bose sells an image. They're an imitation of sound, really.

Pick up a pair of $30 Sennheiser HD 202s or $60 HD 212 Pros if you want decent sound for not much money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i have a pair of sony in ears...but go over the ear....so they kinda latch onto the top of your ear and then go in.....they are decent and like 20 bucks....ihave never complained about the sound

-chris

OP
E

Echo_

bose are really overpriced
you ever notice that bose never has the specs of their speakers/headphones?
its cuz theyre horrible.
bose is a name
just like gucci etc
same product as a cheaper one and yuou can get a better quality for the same price

the ONLY reason id get that bose headphones is cuz theyre light and comfy

OP
N

NuKe

For all of you Bose haters, who probably don't even own a pair of the QuietComfort 2 headphones...and yet you bash them, read here: http://reviews.cnet.com/Bose_QuietComfort_2/4505-6462_7-21165521-2.html?tag=tab

Before you keep bashing the headphones, go buy a pair and try them on a well-recorded mp3 and you will see how clear they are. I would never buy the rest of Bose's products, but the headphones DO sound awesome, they are not just a name.

For in-ear headphones, go for:
1: Shure E5c, or the cheaper (forgot the model) version of those
2: Bang & Olufsen In-ear headphones (about 120-150 USD) (very good quality product)
3: Or pick up a pair of the Sony Fantopia (sp?) headphones. Bought my mom a pair of the 40 dollar ones, and they are pretty good for their size and price.

OP
F

fishbulb

the in-ears never seem to stay in my ears, like I have freak ears or something. I want to try those Bose ones though, dual purpose really, good sound and keep my ears warm, too bad they cost nearly as much as my IPod.

OP
M

meltbanana314

NuKe said:
For all of you Bose haters, who probably don't even own a pair of the QuietComfort 2 headphones...and yet you bash them, read here: http://reviews.cnet.com/Bose_QuietComfort_2/4505-6462_7-21165521-2.html?tag=tab

CNet is hardly a place to get accurate and impartial reviews.

Bang and Olufsen, Harmon Kardon, AKG, Sennheiser, Shure. Go with names that are actually interested in the science of sound. Not a company that spends half of their time and money on advertising.

OP
E

Echo_

even bang and olufsen are a bit overpriced/sound quality wise as well. theyre more stylish speakers that are probably better than bose but still you pay for the hand made quality.

OP
N

NuKe

Go find a store that sells them, and see if they will let you return them if they aren't want you expected, and if so, then try them out. One thing that people do, is they get these crappy downloads and listen to those downloads with the QuietComfort 2's and they think the headphones suck, because they can hear the imperfections in the song, so perfectly, which is such an oxymoron.
Thanks,
Mike

OP
B

billiam

I have about $50 to spend. Its not alot, but its some sweet moolah. Also I love the look and sound of the Apple Regulars, but the in ears look a bit too risky. The Bose line is way too much money, my friend has them and they play well...but would I spend 150? Nah. We shall see.

OP
M

meltbanana314

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
in all honestly folks you're dealing with (for the most part) mp3's here....which are compressed...and have dropouts...and burst error all the way through their code....in short they sound like crap. Get any one of the names that have been listed here...they're all good...but just don't spend that much money on your IPOD headphones because it's an IPOD....and the digital audio you're dealing with is for the most part is very imperfect... :tusks:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
huffstar said:
in all honestly folks you're dealing with (for the most part) mp3's here....which are compressed...and have dropouts...and burst error all the way through their code....in short they sound like crap. Get any one of the names that have been listed here...they're all good...but just don't spend that much money on your IPOD headphones because it's an IPOD....and the digital audio you're dealing with is for the most part is very imperfect... :tusks:
Well that's just b/s. Obviously mp3 and aac have limitations, but even audiophile listeners can't hear every imperfection.

I encode my songs at 160 AAC and even though lossless files sound better, my Shure e3c buds sound much better than the stock iPod buds.

I'd recommend:

-Shure e2 (around $70)
-Shure e3c ($130)
-Sony ex71 (if you're into bass)

Normal (portable) headphones:
-Koss PortaPro
-Koss KSC-35
-Sennheiser Px100 / Px 200

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.