Changing Settings for IDE and/or SoundCard

Reaction score
Hi, I've had my Macbook since August of 2007, and it has treated me very well so far. However, recently I've been having some problems when running some music production programs (Propellerhead Reason, DigiDesign ProTools): When I play complex songs in these programs, the sound comes out "clippy" and "laggy".

From forums intended for those music programs, I've narrowed it down to a couple last troubleshooting options. The first is to change the buffer size in the Mac Core Audio Drivers, which I can't find. Anyone know if this is an option I can adjust? The second option is someone else's suggestion that I have too much information running down one IDE channel, causing the unwanted lag / pops. I only have one hard drive, but it's running out of space (4GB left of 160GB). Could this be to blame? If so, would it be suitable to grab an external hard drive to move all of my music and schoolwork over to?
Any help would be appreciated, as I can't afford a new notebook, and I'm trying to get these songs finished for my first album.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Hi, I've had my Macbook since August of 2007, and it has treated me very well so far. However, recently I've been having some problems when running some music production programs (Propellerhead Reason, DigiDesign ProTools): When I play complex songs in these programs, the sound comes out "clippy" and "laggy".

From forums intended for those music programs, I've narrowed it down to a couple last troubleshooting options. The first is to change the buffer size in the Mac Core Audio Drivers, which I can't find. Anyone know if this is an option I can adjust? The second option is someone else's suggestion that I have too much information running down one IDE channel, causing the unwanted lag / pops. I only have one hard drive, but it's running out of space (4GB left of 160GB). Could this be to blame? If so, would it be suitable to grab an external hard drive to move all of my music and schoolwork over to?
Any help would be appreciated, as I can't afford a new notebook, and I'm trying to get these songs finished for my first album.

You don't provide any info about your specs, so there's not much help we can give you, but having less than 10% of your HD space available will seriously impact the performance of Mac OS X.

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of specs, I'm new here, as I don't normally need to post on forums for help, but I'm running out of options.
I have a MacBook from August 2007, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, running OS X 10.4.1
Regarding the music programs, they are Reason 3, ProTools 7.3, and Ableton 5

Thanks for the suggestion about the hard drive. I know it's a problem, but haven't had a place to dump my 100+ gigs of music (I saw some 1TB external drives, probably gonna pick one of those up and see how it helps.

OP
P
Reaction score
Oops, forgot to put in that I recently upgraded to my max of 2GB RAM. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.