how to transfer VHS to powerbook?

C

code777

my friend and i are starting a project. we want to transfer VHS footage to his Powerbook so that we can create a DVD. What we have is a VCR and a Sony Digital8. The sony digital 8 cam has a DV out. I have rca plugs that can go from the vcr to the digital 8. but i think i need a DV firewire cable to get from the digital 8 to the Powerbook. Has anyone done this???

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Unless your camcorder has video in through the RCA cables you will need to buy a DV-Bridge

OP
C

code777

yes camcorder does have video IN i believe. is there a site where i can find out how to do this? I wonder if I can just do it on my iBook G4 (no superdrive) since i do have an external 160GB HDD. And then take that external HDD and hook it up to my friend's powerbook to burn the DVD??? new at this so any help would be appreciated.

Also how many GB's say take up 1hr of video???

OP
V

vtupser

You can take your VHS and hook your RCA cables into your camera into the video IN ports to digitize the VHS. Then hook up your DV out to your firewire port to bring into iMovie. Once in iMovie you can edit it and do whatever then pull it into iDVD to make your DVD then save it to your external to have your friend burn it for you.

OP
C

code777

sounds easier said then done! hheheh, is there any type of tutorial online for this? thanks so much.

i am not familar with iMovie/iDVD ...

oh and how many GB's will say 1hr or so take up?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
VHS to DVD from the Mac World site.

I have a movie I am working on that is about 1 hour and 38 minutes in length. It takes about 19.86 GB of space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
i have an iBook G4 and am wanting to do the same thing. i was told that you can purchase some adaption type thing from the apple store but would like to know if this can be done. so if anyone has doen this before please tell,
thanks

OP
V

vtupser

You can purchase what is known as a bridge. I suggest the Hollywood Dazzle. Just google it and you can probably find out about it. You can probably purchase it from Amazon.com for a relatively good price. It has connections for analog to digital and vice versa and also a fire wire port and possibly s-video, but not totally sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.