VMWare fusion/windows no icons

Reaction score
Hello. I recently installed fusion ll/ windows xp. I'm unable to download (or find where download went) and get icons to desktop. Any clues? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Generally, downloads in Windows go to one of two places:

1. \documents and settings\your user name\my documents

2. \documents and settings\your user name\desktop

When downloading a file from the net the Internet Explorer download dialog will ask what you want to do: Open or Save the file? By selecting Save, it will show another dialog where the downloaded file will be saved to. You can make changes to the file path in that dialog in order to save the file wherever you wish.

The easiest and quickest is to save it to your desktop.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
chscag, desktop WAS the designated place to go, but it does not go there. Though I can find the files in folder when search is used. Also cannot drag anything to desktop either. The item or file just disappears when that is attempted.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Strange... Do you have any other profiles that you might have created in the Windows XP system? I'm assuming here that you're the admin, but have you created any other user?

Your desktop folder should be located where I stated in the previous reply. It could be that the "desktop" folder may have inadvertently been moved to another location. Are you able to see the downloaded file when you open the Windows Explorer and manually go to the desktop folder?

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.