Firmware Update problem 5.1.6f3 - 5.1.8f7

H

h0tk4rl

I'm not a moron here, I follow directions when they are presented this clearly:

Power Mac G5 (June 2004) Firmware Update
Version 5.1.8f7

This firmware update improves system stability for your Power Mac G5 (June 2004) systems.

To upgrade the firmware on your Power Mac G5, follow the instructions below. You can print these instructions so they are available while you upgrade your firmware.

The Power Mac G5 Firmware Updater is installed in Applications/Utilities.

1. Save changes to open files and then quit all applications, if necessary.
2. Click Shut Down in the Firmware Update window to turn off your computer. Wait for your computer to shut down.
3. Press and hold in the Power button on the Power Mac G5 until you hear a long tone or see the Power button light flashing.

The firmware updater starts automatically. A status bar shows the progress of the update. You may see more than one status bar.

After the update is complete, your system restarts automatically. When a message says your computer's firmware has been successfully updated to version 5.1.8f7, the update process is finished.

For more information, go to www.apple.com/support.

Seems easy enough, click the "Shut Down" button and then after the system is off, press and hold the power button. Only there is no long tone and the Power button light does not flash. Doesn't matter how long I hold that button.

I eventually come to this screen (btw. at this point, my finger is ready to break off)

Apple Power Mac 7, 3 5.1.6f3 BootROM built on 03/19/04 at 11:12:58
Copyright 1994-2004 Apple Computer, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Welcome to Open firmware, the system time is: 22:51:04 01/19/2005

To continue booting, type "mac-boot" and press return.
To shutdown, type "shut-down" and press return.

ok
0>

So I seem to be in the right place but nothing is starting automatically and there are no status bars showing progress of squat!!

I am getting the same results on both my G5 at home and at work.

Any ideas what is going on here?

OP
G

Garance

Found your message since I had the same problem. I eventually solved it by holding the Alt button while pressing the power button. Hope that helps.

OP
H

h0tk4rl

Garance said:
Found your message since I had the same problem. I eventually solved it by holding the Alt button while pressing the power button. Hope that helps.

Thanks, I will give that a try tonight. I also found some more information that points to my crucial memory. I was told to remove any non-Apple memory while doing the firmware upgrade. I'll have to give that a try as well.

-jay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
How did this all work out as I have a Dual G5 as well. Just curious. I might need this advice someday.

Also, not to come off topic, but hotk4rl, do you ride a sportbike and belong to Cycleforums? I think I may have met you with some of the GSSC guys/girls.

OP
H

h0tk4rl

TTheInfamous1 said:
How did this all work out as I have a Dual G5 as well. Just curious. I might need this advice someday.

Also, not to come off topic, but hotk4rl, do you ride a sportbike and belong to Cycleforums? I think I may have met you with some of the GSSC guys/girls.

Pulling the non-Apple memory worked but I didn't try the 2nd option yet.

I do ride a sportbike and belong to cycleforums.com. I'm also the creator of tristatesportbikes.com. Such a small world.

-jay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
h0tk4rl said:
Pulling the non-Apple memory worked but I didn't try the 2nd option yet.

I do ride a sportbike and belong to cycleforums.com. I'm also the creator of tristatesportbikes.com. Such a small world.

-jay
Ahh, aight then... You must know Tick (or Tic) Think he stunts now. I forget his real name, I havent seen him in a while. I haven't been on tristate in a while either. I belong to so many forums. I'll have to come check it out.

Hope the Mac gets worked out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.