Would this eMac be suitable for me Wireless wise?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here so hello to you all.

I'm currently a Windows user, have been for a long while. I'm looking to make the switch to Mac on my computer upstairs but I'm not looking to spend a lot.
I've been searching various auction websites and I've found an eMac that I like, I was wondering about wireless.

It says it has Aiport installed- as I'm a Mac newbie, would an eMac with Airport installed just be able to connect to my main wireless network?

My router is on a normal PC (which would be my main PC) and it's a cable router.

Specs of the eMac :

Apple Emac 800Mmz (Generation 2) Airport Extreme installed, 1GB Memory, 40GB Hard Disk, CD, 17" Screen, and a new compatible USB Optical Mouse, and USB Keyboard. Running OSX

The Emacs are in really good condition. A perfect wireless web machine. Great for your kids bedroom.

Processor Type: PowerPC 7441 (G4) Processor Speed: 800 MHz
Details: The PowerPC G4 includes the AltiVec "Velocity Engine" vector processor.
Processor Upgrade: None FPU: Integrated
Details:

The processor is mounted directly to the motherboard.

System Bus Speed: 133 MHz Cache Bus Speed: 800 MHz (Built-in)
Details:

N/A

ROM/Firmware Type: Open Firmware ROM/Firmware Size: 1 MB
Details:

The Boot ROM is roughly 1 MB, other instructions are loaded into RAM.

L1 Cache: 64k L2/L3 Cache: 256k (on-chip)
Details:

256k on-chip level 2 cache runs at processor speed.

RAM Type: PC133 SDRAM Min. RAM Speed: 8 ns
Details: Although Apple's original specifications stated that it shipped with PC100 RAM, Apple later noted that RAM must be "PC-133 compliant".
Standard RAM: 128 MB Maximum RAM: 1.0 GB
Details: Site sponsor Other World Computing sells eMac memory, as well as hard drives, accessories, and other upgrades.
Motherboard RAM: None RAM Slots: 2
Details:

There are two user accessible 168-pin DIMM slots. As shipped, one slot is occupied by a 128 MB memory module.

Video Card: GeForce2 MX VRAM Type: DDR SDRAM
Details: Shipped with a "NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics processor with 32 MB of DDR RAM".
Standard VRAM: 32 MB Maximum VRAM: 32 MB
Details:

The video cannot be upgraded.

Built-in Display: 17.0" Flat CRT Native Resolution: 1024x768*
Details:

*The 17.0" flat CRT display has a 16.0" viewable area, a 0.25mm dot pitch, and supports "640 by 480 pixels at 138 Hz, 800 by 600 pixels at 112 Hz, 1024 by 768 pixels at 89 Hz, 1152 by 864 pixels at 80 Hz, [and] 1280 by 960 pixels at 72 Hz" resolutions.

2nd Display Support: Mirroring Only 2nd Max. Resolution: 1280x960*
Details: *Apple reports that the "Mini-VGA output port [with additional purchase of a VGA display adapter can] display an image identical to that shown on the built-in display" at the same resolution.
Standard Hard Drive: 40 GB Int. HD Interface: Ultra ATA/66
Details:

This model supports hard drives larger than 128 GB.

Standard Optical: 32X CD-ROM* Standard Disk: None
Details:
Standard Modem: None Standard Ethernet: 10/100Base-T
Details:

*No internal modem was provided by the education-only M8655LL/A and /B configurations. Modem standard in other configurations. 10/100Base-T standard in all configurations.

Standard AirPort: Optional (802.11b) Standard Bluetooth: None
Details:

This model could be configured with AirPort (802.11b) at the time of purchase at additional cost.

USB Ports: 3 (1.1) Firewire Ports: 2 (400)
Details: This system has three USB 1.1 ports (shared on two 12-Mbps controllers) and two Firewire "400" ports (eight watts shared). Apple advertised that this computer had five USB 1.1 ports, counting three on the system and two on the keyboard.

Also see: Complete Ports.
Expansion Slots: AirPort Installed Expansion Bays: None
Details: This model has "built-in antennas and [a] card slot for [an] optional AirPort card".
Incl. Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard Incl. Input: Apple Pro Mouse
Details:

N/A

Case Type: All-in-One Form Factor: eMac
Details:

Accommodates a 17" CRT, but is slightly less deep than the original iMac CRT model which only had a 15" CRT.

Apple Model No: M8655LL/A* Apple Subfamily: eMac - Original
Details:

*M8655LL/A refers to the original education-only configuration that shipped to startup with MacOS X, a CD-ROM drive and no modem. The "/B" configuration uses the same hardware but shipped with MacOS 9 set to startup. M8578LL/A refers to the education-only configuration with a "Combo" drive set to startup in MacOS X, and "/B" was set to startup in MacOS 9.

M8577LL/A refers to the consumer model that shipped with a CD-RW drive, and M8891LL/A refers to the consumer model that shipped with a "Combo" drive.

Gestalt/Model ID: N/A Machine Model: PowerMac4,4
Details:

Please note that these identifiers refer to more than one model.

Battery Type: 3.6V Lithium

Sorry for the long specs- but does that sound OK for me to use just as a computer for surfing the web, music and all of that stuff?

I'm not looking for anything powerful. Just a nice looking cheap Mac.
The price of this one is just under $300ish / £130, would that be a good price?

And how/would it be connecting to the internet, do I need an Airport router or anything?

Oh and finally and more importantly, if it has Airport Extreme installed - do I need a wireless/Airport card?

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Skirting round your Airport question, because I don't know enough about it to advise you, other than you'll need a compatible wireless router, the eMac is a good computer. It'll do almost anything you want of it, but be aware of the now infamous eMac capacitor problem. There's plenty of info and advice about it on this and other Mac forums.

£130 is on the high side for an 800 MHz model [personally I wouldn't pay more than £80-£90 (equiv) here in NZ, where the basic 800 model sells for $200]. £130 should buy a 1.25 GHz model. However, if speed is not a serious consideration, then the 800 is fine. It's maximum RAM capacity is 1 Gb, which will help its performance should you decide to upgrade. Just check which OS X version is being offered. Tiger (10.4) will be your limit because of the slower processor.

OP
Marczi
Reaction score
Skirting round your Airport question, because I don't know enough about it to advise you, other than you'll need a compatible wireless router, the eMac is a good computer. It'll do almost anything you want of it, but be aware of the now infamous eMac capacitor problem. There's plenty of info and advice about it on this and other Mac forums.

£130 is on the high side for an 800 MHz model [personally I wouldn't pay more than £80-£90 (equiv) here in NZ, where the basic 800 model sells for $200]. £130 should buy a 1.25 GHz model. However, if speed is not a serious consideration, then the 800 is fine. It's maximum RAM capacity is 1 Gb, which will help its performance should you decide to upgrade. Just check which OS X version is being offered. Tiger (10.4) will be your limit because of the slower processor.

Thanks very much for the reply!

I've had a quick look at the capacitor problem, and yeah that could be a worry. I must admit that does bother me a bit- I'll have to look into it more.

Thank you for pointing it out.

And I had another look, apparently it has 10.3 Panther. I think 800 MHz would be OK for me.

On another note, if the capacitor problem would be an issue - would you have any other suggestions for Macs within a budget of £350?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Wow! £350 (NZ$900 or thereabouts). For that I'd look seriously at a G5 iMac, either PPC or Intel. There are numerous options on the online auctions. Think seriously about what you want to run on the computer, eg. any Classic (OS 9) will require a PPC processor.

Oh, and Panther on an 800 Mhz eMac would work just fine.

I'm a loyal eMac man but I'm not blind. You might want to shop around for the 1.42 GHz eMac, a right beauty and very hard to obtain. It did not have the capacitor problem. One of the better all-in-one computers ever made in my view.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.