OS DVD reinstall - disk issues

Reaction score
I have a MacBook, 12 months old. The OS preinstalled when I bought it was Leopard. I have just sold it on ebay and so proceeded to erase the hard drive and reboot from disk. At this point I discover too late that the original DVD has Tiger 10.4.10!! Yes, I know now I should have checked the version - stupid - but I just never had any reason to look at the disks the whole time I had it and it didn't occur to me it might be wrong.

Apple (grr) refuse to help because the laptop is 3 days beyond its warranty. This is really annoying because I sold the thing on the basis that it had Leopard and now it doesn't so the guy will be quite within his rights to cancel the purchase.

Is there any way to reinstall Leopard without shelling out whatever is costs for a new copy? That would be maddening when I paid for the laptop having Leopard originally (I deliberately waited for the OS release). I have the install disks from my newer macbook but they won't work being model specific.

Is it ok to use a 2nd-hand copy from ebay, assuming it's a bona fide original Apple retail copy?

Thanks guys!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wait a sec. If your laptop came from the factory with Leopard, what happened to the original Leopard system discs? Is it possible that it came with an upgrade disc in addition to the Tiger discs?

OP
V
Reaction score
**Is it possible that it came with an upgrade disc in addition to the Tiger discs?**

Is that something they do?? Well I really hope you're right and it's that simple. Am at the office right now but will go through the box again as soon as I get home tonight.
Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
**Is it possible that it came with an upgrade disc in addition to the Tiger discs?**

Is that something they do?? Well I really hope you're right and it's that simple. Am at the office right now but will go through the box again as soon as I get home tonight.
Thanks!

Yes. If you bought the computer right around the time Leopard first shipped, it could have come with Tiger-based system discs and also an upgrade version of Leopard.

OP
V
Reaction score
Well I called my GF and had her check the box and sadly no extra update disk. So back the drawing board... I bought the macbook in the first week after Leopard was released, and from a non-Apple reseller (airport electrical store) so maybe it somehow missed out on the update disk insert.
Thanks anyway - was a promising idea.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I called my GF and had her check the box and sadly no extra update disk. So back the drawing board... I bought the macbook in the first week after Leopard was released, and from a non-Apple reseller (airport electrical store) so maybe it somehow missed out on the update disk insert.
Thanks anyway - was a promising idea.

Well, still, I have to go back to how Leopard got installed in the first place. Are you saying it was factory installed with Leopard but they didn't include the discs? If that's the case, Apple should be more than happy to provide you with the discs they neglected to ship.

OP
V
Reaction score
Are you saying it was factory installed with Leopard but they didn't include the discs?

Yes, that's exactly the situation.

If that's the case, Apple should be more than happy to provide you with the discs they neglected to ship.

You would think so, yes. I spent half an hour on the phone to them this morning, but they insist that since it's out of warranty (by 2 days!) it's not their problem. Not sure how legally correct this would be since it's not something that has gone wrong now, it was wrong from the start. But anyway, at this stage I guess it's going to be less hassle to just get hold of a retail copy.

There are a lot of people selling new and used versions of Leopard on ebay. Is this ok (assuming it's originally a legit copy?) Sorry if this is an obvious question but I've never obtained software this way before. I am really reluctant to just buy a new copy at full price given that I already paid for it in the first place (and am selling the laptop anyway!)

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.