Installing extra hard drives

Reaction score
Hi
I have an old Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio) in which I wish to install at least one extra internal hard drive.
I have downloaded the manual which states it can hold three hard drives in total.
I have looked inside the case and I can see only one extra power lead for a hard drive.
Basically does this mean I need a new power supply with an extra lead
Sorry if this question seems a bit naive but I have not done this before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
You will need a "Y" connection to get to three - plug the Y into the power lead and it split the connection into two. You should also have enough connections on the IDE cable (Grey ribbon I believe). I found the hardest part was to figure out how to screw the HD firmly onto the case. Originally I used plastic zip ties to hold it in till I figured it out. Watch for sharp edges of steel...and read the part carefully about the jumper settings as you can onoly have one master (boot drive) and the balance are slaves.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks a lot for that - that has answered my query.
One other thing there is an enclosure there already holding one of the hard drives. This looks different to the other two spare hard drive slots. So do the two extra hard drives screw straight into these slots as I have seen pictures where an extra hard drive is put straight on top of the pre-exiting one ie the enclosure then holds two drives.
Once again thanks a lot for taking the trouble to reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is correct. When I upgraded the HD I left the original on the bottom and moved on. It is a very tight space unless you can figure how to get the sled out that holds the HD. Tricky at first. That is why I plastic zip tied the drive to it (with an insulator) to get me going. Adding the extra drives in the storage bay is also correct but will required another longer cable to be bought. The storage bays are held in with clips or screws and exit through the front (pry out the plastic cover to reveal the screws/clips). Feed cable through the back, connect them all and slide the drive bay back in. Another thought is to add a USB/Firewire card and install it into this area if you need frequent access to USB/Firewire (ie camera interface).

OP
L
Reaction score
Hello
Thanks once again
When you say you need another longer cable to be bought do you mean an IDE cable
I have had another look inside the machine and there are in fact three power leads for hard drives but there does not seem to be enough IDE cables.
The current IDE cable has a double plug so extra hard drive can be fitted on top of pre-existing one but there does not seem to be another IDE plug for a third hard drive nor does there seem to be a spare position for an extra IDE cable on the motherboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct. You will need a really long one if you buy it but mounting the second HD is correct on top is right. Real easy. I cloned my second HD using CCC and then disconnected the old one and left it in place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.