dual boot xp 64 and os x.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 GHz intel c2d, 2gb ram, xp and os x.6
is it possible to dual boot with tiger and no additional proprietary software (ie without bootcamp or vmfusion or parallels)?

i don't mind wiping my hard drive and reinstalling everything. i have a 16gb flash drive to backup my files with.

this is how i see it working:

1) boot with the tiger install disk
2) use disk utility to create 3 (or 4 for a shared) partition
2a) 200 mb efi
2b) 20 gb hfs+ (mac)
2c) 20 gb ntfs (shared)
2d) 20 gb fat 32 (xp)
... or something like that
3) install tiger
4) install some apps - including rEFIt
5) boot w/ xp install disc and install

will that work? am i forgetting anything? i got my next door neighbor to burn the driver disc (im not sure how updated it is and i don't know if i need different drivers with xp 64 vs 32)

does this sound reasonable? or am i crazy?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 GHz intel c2d, 2gb ram, xp and os x.6
since no one responded i just tried it anyway

my drivers were no good for xp 64, only xp 32. but everything runs fine.

is there a driver disc for xp 64? i can only seem to find it for vista64 and xp32/vista

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Gutsy move. :D Not sure I would have attempted all that work. :Smirk:

But to answer your question regarding a XP 64 driver disk, none that I know of exists. However, what you can try is go to each individual hardware maker's web site and see if they have available drivers for XP 64. XP 32 drivers are not compatible with or are the same as XP 64.

To be honest, most folks say that XP 64 sucks. Vista 64 is much improved and would be my choice.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.