Correlation between faster HDD rpm speeds + loud fan noise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac
I have an Aluminum Intel 24" 2.4ghz iMac which was purchased a little more than a year ago.

This week the hard drive that came with the computer went six feet under and so I replaced it with a newer one. Since my 1 year warranty was over (a week ago), I replaced the hard drive myself.

After hooking everything up, it boots up with the "macintosh" noise fine, then the fan kicks in and stays on and fairly loud (~3300rpm all the time). All the internal temperatures are fine too. This annoys me, so I switch back to the old hard drive (which still can be booted up), and the fan stays completely silent like it always was.

Now, is there something that I did wrong with my swap? Or is my new hard drive with a faster, I think, RPM (Seagate 750gig 7200rpm) causing this? Any help would be awesome. I've tried resetting the SMU many times, and that has not worked. Thanks guys :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The system may be indexing the new hard drive. If so, the fan noise should settle down after awhile once everything has been indexed. Give it a few days before doing anything else. If the fan noise continues after that, you can always return the drive for a refund.

Regards.

OP
sonique128
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac
It's continuing onto day 2 now. Is that still normal? I know you said a few days...

Thanks for any help though!

OP
sonique128
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac
While searching around, I found a thread where someone installed a harddrive wrong which caused the loud fan

Apple - Support - Discussions - Noisy Fan ...

What could I have done wrong to make it do that? The HD install seemed pretty straight forward...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After reading the thread you provided it seems there are several things which could impact on the fan speed. Go back over the replacement process and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be. For example: Did you accidently dislodge a thermal sensor? Sometimes it's easy to miss a small sensor or cable that was attached to the original drive.

An iMac is a compact machine - it's really a large notebook computer on its side.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
After reading the document, have you tried the simple thing - shut it off and wait for 30 seconds. Sometimes a startup versus a restart can repair things. I leave my iMac on 24/7 but log out every day AND I have mine plugged into a battery backup because of local power issues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Step 5 of the DIY instruction you followed clearly shows the removal of a temperature sensor from the drive and warns not to bend its pins. It also states the sensor looks like a transistor. It doesn't mention any other sensors regarding the drive so apparently there is only one.

Go back over the DIY even if you have to once more disassemble your iMac and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be, especially that temperature sensor for the drive.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.