How do you Uninstall software?

N

NextProdigy

Im new to the whole mac scene... I was figuring how you could uninstall software? can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
very simple: drag the application you want to uninstall to your trash, empty the trash and that's it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yes very simple, mac is the easies operating system

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
You might also want to run a search for the program name after you've deleted the icon from your applications folder, just to make sure it's completely gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Hi All,

When uninstalling by dragging the program out of apps folder to the trash does this delete everthing? Do some programs put things in different places; like the Library folder etc.

Thx
Joe

OP
D

Desolate One

gunnerjoe said:
Hi All,

When uninstalling by dragging the program out of apps folder to the trash does this delete everthing? Do some programs put things in different places; like the Library folder etc.

Thx
Joe

Refer to Edge's post just above yours. ;)

OP
R

ryanyogan

Some programs add preferences in the library a simple search will help you on that, and there are some times when you best use the actual uninstall program (Micrsoft office 2004, etc...) as they leave behind alot of excess luggage you don't care to keep. The "icon" that you are dragging to the trash is much, much, more than that. It is a package, beleive it or not that icon has many different files, images, and a whole folder structure in it. Apple had a great idea with this, one of the best accomplishments if you ask me, along with disk images, very easy way to manage data!!

Make sure you are not just dragging the alias from the dock to the trash, you must go to your applications folder, or whatever folder you installed to and drag the real deal!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Thanks All,

Gunnerjoe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.