My Mac Is Messed!! Help Me God I Have Tried Everything!

Reaction score
My new TV effects my Mac

i have a G5 PowerMac and have recently treated myself to a new samsung LCD tv... the tv has a vga port on the back and the mac runs fine through it. the only problem i have found, is that when i am using my mac i have to turn the tv off b4 it completely shuts down... otherwise it instantly restarts. and even when successfully shut down by turning off the tv, when i turn it back on, the mac starts up... so i either have to unplug it or have it running a heck of a lot.

can someone PLEASE suggest what i could do because I AM SUMPED!

marvin19

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro|MacBooks|iPhones|iPods|iPad
that is really odd...i have the same set up (powermac G5 to Samsung TV) and i have not had this issue at all. you might run a prepare of permissions and see if that helps. i would have you delete any preferences that might be causing this but i don't even know which ones might be the culprit.

OP
M
Reaction score
'prepare of permissions'... what is this? any ideas at all about what the problem may be n how i can fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro|MacBooks|iPhones|iPods|iPad
you can go to applications, utilities, disk utility, and then repair permissions on your start up drive. i have no idea if this will help but it is kind of step one.

it sounds like a fluke situation so something like this may just do the trick...it seems to help weird unexplainable issues sometimes.

OP
M
Reaction score
i tried all of that n it hasnt made any visible difference.

i forgot to add that even when it is shut down with the tv off... the white on light is still on (NOT pulsating like in sleep mode). AND i forgot to add that a while back i had hard drive problems on my data drive... but i wiped it clean n it was fine... then i hooked it up to my new tv n it does this...

Anyone with an answer or solution, please share with me

marvin19

OP
M
Reaction score
My Mac Is Borked!! Help Me God I Have Tried Everything!

i have recently bought a new samsung tv... im currently running my G5 thru it, BUT... when i shut down with the tv still on... the mac automaticly re-boots! so i have to turn my tv off before the mac shuts down to stop this. when its shut down and the tvs off, the sleep light is on, on the front of the mac EXCEPT its not pulsating its just constantly on!!! So then when i turn my tv back on after shutting down... it works as a remote to turn the mac back on! so i have to unplug it at the mains EVERYTIME!

i recently had problems with my data drive where it had a corruption in it or something, but i thought i sorted that out by re-installing tiger... so i restarted it n had it boot up in root... but it had the same problem! i also went thru disk utility n repair permissions. that did nothing!

WHAT DO I DO!

IF ANY1 CAN GIVE ME AN ANSWER THEY TRUELY ARE GOD!

OP
M
Reaction score
i have recently bought a new samsung tv... im currently running my G5 thru it, BUT... when i shut down with the tv still on... the mac automaticly re-boots! so i have to turn my tv off before the mac shuts down to stop this. when its shut down and the tvs off, the sleep light is on, on the front of the mac EXCEPT its not pulsating its just constantly on!!! So then when i turn my tv back on after shutting down... it works as a remote to turn the mac back on! so i have to unplug it at the mains EVERYTIME!

i recently had problems with my data drive where it had a corruption in it or something, but i thought i sorted that out by re-installing tiger... so i restarted it n had it boot up in root... but it had the same problem! i also went thru disk utility n repair permissions. that did nothing!

WHAT DO I DO!

IF ANY1 CAN GIVE ME AN ANSWER THEY TRUELY ARE GOD!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 ,1.67 GHz,120 GB hard disk; Slot-Load SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
What is your tv connected by DVI? it probley a situation were you'll have to plug it out everytime your done with it. or plug it out, go to system prefs go in to displays, click dectect displays then when your ready to use the tv plug it in again and click dectect display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged multiple crossposts

OP
M
Reaction score
What is your tv connected by DVI? it probley a situation were you'll have to plug it out everytime your done with it. or plug it out, go to system prefs go in to displays, click dectect displays then when your ready to use the tv plug it in again and click dectect display.

no its attached by vga, should i connect it by VCI or HDMI instead then????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.