Green Light next to camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz core 2 duo 1gb 667 ddr2 sdram osx 10.5.5
Hey all I am new to this forum and I have a question. I read a bunch of other threads and found nothing that has resolved my issue.

The green LED light next to the camera is on and when I try to open an app like photobooth the camera doesnt not work and all i get is black screen where the image should be! Now i followed someone elses advice and i powered down the notebook and removed the battery and then pressed the power key for 5 seconds, put the battery back in and then booted up and it was fine. This was Monday afternoon when I noticed this and today is Wednesday and I booted the computer up and the GREEN LED was back!!!

Does anyone know what this could be or mean? No I do not have any app running to control the camera and if i run an app that uses the camera the screen goes blank where the images should be.

I need help! THanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
There are three solutions. My Girlfriend had a similar problem with her 1st Gen Macbook.

Sol'n 1: Reset the PRAM. Do this by holding command + option + P + R on boot. After the PRAM is reset, the computer will restart again, and you can let go of those keys and start it normally.

Sol'n 2: The problem is purely software. Backup your stuff (Time Machine comes in handy here), Reinstall the OS. DO NOT immediately restore your data via Time Machine as prompted during first startup. Check to see if your Camera works. If it does, use the Migration Utility to restore data from your Time Machine backup. If it doesn't see Sol'n 3.

Sol'n 2: Worst Case Scenario, the Camera Board is going on your Mac. The quoted out-of-warranty cost of fixing this at the Genius Bar here in Canada was approx $188.00, taxes and labour included. This repair would be covered by manufactuer warranty and AppleCare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.