VMWare Fusion with WInXP

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a Mac system with a crazy amount of RAM (8gb). I was thinking of getting VMWare Fusion for run WIndowsXP too. My question is, if I install a 32-bit version of xp I already have, will I somehow be limited to 3GB of ram? Or does it still go by the host machine's ability and allow me to utilize, say 4/6gb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Vista is limited to 3 GB of RAM. XP will run on 3GB just fine though.

OP
P
Reaction score
well 3gb i know will work. i was wondering about more than 3gb (4,6). to my knowledge, xp addresses only about 3.5 as well. i doubt i will have any needs for such high ram, but if i'm only running winxp and mac, it would seem easiest to give 2 cores of processing and 4gb ram to each

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
Vista 64 bit in theory will support up to 16gb however it is a reg hack to get it to work, and I can't remember what it is.

The 32 bit limits on 3 ish gb ram is a hard coded limit, it doesn't matter how much more you throw at it, it simply won't recognise it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.