Mac Mail Line Spacing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Can anyone tell me why sometimes when I'm in Mail, the line spacing decides that it's going to be 1.5 versus 1? It's so frustrating when I'm trying to create a list of ... whatever, and the spacing between each line is waaaaaay too big!

HELP!

Reaction score
Double spacing demon solved

Can anyone tell me why sometimes when I'm in Mail, the line spacing decides that it's going to be 1.5 versus 1? It's so frustrating when I'm trying to create a list of ... whatever, and the spacing between each line is waaaaaay too big!

HELP!

I agree, this is truly an ANNOYING problem in Mac Mail.

The soft return is your best trick... press control+return.. i use it religiously.

I experience the text spacing problem when I cut and paste from say an internet web page or somewhere where there is rich text formatting... and then change the text of other lines. Then when I change my mind again about what to say and hit (return) the annoying double space demon appears.

There is a feature in Mac Mail called "Substitutions" with a setting of "smart copy/paste". I bring up the menu by right+click. Look under Substitutions.

So when you copy rich text from somewhere and paste it into a Mac Mail message, it keeps the HTML tags I assume. Say I paste an H2 tag

Well when you delete text in Mac Mail it doesn't always delete the formatting of that line. So even though your text LOOKS like it is 12pt Helvetica Regular, there is a phantom BOLD H2 tag there. So say you hit backspace when you make a manual bulleted list

-this
-one

it will change to this on you when you hit the backspace/delete button.

-this-one

This can be solved by reformatting the -one back to -one and then holding down CONTROL and hitting return.

Hope this helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.