Did I make a good choice (external hard drive)?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, after realizing the true value of all the stuff I have on my hard drive, I decided to buy an external hard drive to use with Time Machine. I chose a Lacie 500 gb firewire 400 drive:

Amazon.com: LaCie 301313U Hard Disk by Neil Poulton 500GB Firewire400/USB 2.0 External Hard Drive: Electronics

and am excited to finally use time machine's interface.

However,

I've heard from many people that Lacie drives are unreliable, and thus break very frequently. But then again, I've heard this about all the drives. What do you think about Lacie? Should I trust it?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I don't think Lacie make drives, they make enclosures (usually quite nice but I guess it's all personal preference).

Pretty much all drives are susceptible to failure due to the high speeds and small parts etc. For most users; a HDD will out-live its' usefulness - i.e. you will want a bigger better HDD before it dies...

My first MacBooks HDD died after about 8 months and I remember being pretty gutted and irrational about it - how could my very expensive MacBook have a dodgy HDD so early in its' life when all of my Windows laptops have out-lived my need for them??? Of course the fact that it was inside a MacBook was of no value - it was a HDD and I guess a got a bum one!

This story basically says that HDD longevity is down to little more than luck (my interpretation) > you either get a good one that will last ages or a donkey that will fail early in its' life.

I guess perhaps your friends have just been a little unlucky. I have a couple of external drives (1 Lacie 500GB & 1 WD 500GB) and they have both been fine for me. (touch wood ;) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have a 2yr old Lacie 320 still working .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.