Clicking sound?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, iPod Classic
I just bought an iPod Classic, brand new from the Apple store, and I've been noticing a clicking sound coming from inside the iPod itself that's not from the clickwheel. It's not incredibly frequent, but sometimes I'll hear it when I select a new song or plug it in to my computer. The iPod seems to work just fine besides that.

Is this something I should be worried about? Or is it not a big deal?

EDIT: I have also been noticing that when I fast-forward video on the iPod it fast forwards a little bit then freezes, and I have to play and then fast forward again. Anyone else notice this?

Reaction score
I get that sound sometimes too, but difference is, my iPod is a year old.

I feel like when it makes that sound the iPod is essentially "thinking", it also starts to kind of vibrate/move in my hand. It's weird, maybe it's because I have a lot of music/photos/videos on it, but even with all that I have, I've still only used half the memory.

OP
batsy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get that sound sometimes too, but difference is, my iPod is a year old.

I feel like when it makes that sound the iPod is essentially "thinking", it also starts to kind of vibrate/move in my hand. It's weird, maybe it's because I have a lot of music/photos/videos on it, but even with all that I have, I've still only used half the memory.

Hmm.. yeah, I've heard about it happening with older iPods, but not new ones like mine. Mine doesn't vibrate either. I only have about 400 songs on it so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I thought that sound was just me having an aural hallucination

OP
batsy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I just contacted AppleCare and the guy on the phone said the sound is normal. *shrug*

He said the freezing during fast forwarding isn't normal, though. I'm debating whether it's a big enough problem to take it into the Apple store for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.53Ghz (with 512MB NVIDIA 9600M GT), silver iPod Classic 120GB, white iPhone 3G
Mine clicks, too

I just bought an iPod Classic, brand new from the Apple store, and I've been noticing a clicking sound coming from inside the iPod itself that's not from the clickwheel. It's not incredibly frequent, but sometimes I'll hear it when I select a new song or plug it in to my computer. The iPod seems to work just fine besides that.

Funny, I just logged on to these forums to post about the same issue. My iPod Classic is roughly two weeks old, and I've just started to notice the clicking sound you described. So far, I've only noticed it during playback and while syncing with iTunes.

Well, I just contacted AppleCare and the guy on the phone said the sound is normal. *shrug*

Hopefully this is correct. The Classic is actually my first iPod so I have no experience with these sorts of issues.

Also, I haven't experienced the issue of it freezing during fast forward. Then again, I only have one video on my iPod right now, so I haven't given it a thourough test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
isnt it just the hard drive making noise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It is normal. Hard drive is a moving part. It has to move to select the next song and what not. You are going to hear it when selecting songs or syncing because it is reading and writing to the hard drive.

There is nothing to worry about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.