Need some advice

Reaction score
My Mac pro hard drive has started making some loud searching noises when I open up a program or even receive an email. It has also been running some programs very slow, especially adobe apps.

I did a clean reformat to see if that would help and still the problem continues. Any ideas what this could be or what I could do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Rule of thumb is if you hear a noise coming from what you believe to be the hard drive - backup and replace the drive ASAP. Better safe than sorry. Drives are cheap and in a production environment, time is worth more than the drive. Do it now and move on while the drive is still working.

Another thought - is that the noise may be power supply related but that usually is a high pitched whine, kind of like the noise when your hard drive stops and you have no back up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Chilbear, it may be time to replace the drive. Considering it's a Mac Pro, swapping out a hard drive is relatively easy. Start backing up your data now.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice guys. I actually think I figured it out, I opened the tower up a few weeks back to clean it out, and must have some how bumped lose one of the memory slots.

I was only operating with 512 RAM, and I think this is why the hard drive was working overtime and all the apps were so slow.

I reinstalled the dimms and everything seems to be working back to what I expect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.