PART TWO: Creativity with your shutter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Part Two: Shutter Speed, and how to get creative.

Why do I need a tripod when doing long exposures?

You need a tripod for long exposures for a simple reason: hand shake. If your camera wasn't mounted on something, and you planned on getting a sharp image, you can't expect much more than lights blurring up the entire image.

I need to get a tripod, but I need some brand suggestions!

You don't need a professional quality tripod to start out. Try something cheap, and go to your local electronics or photo store, see what kinds of tripods they have there. However, there are some things to consider when buying a new tripod. You must consider if you are using a small point and shoot, a small SLR or large SLR. If using an SLR, consider the lens(es) you will be using to shoot long exposures. Will you be using a long, heavy telephoto lens? Or a small 50mm lens? Base your decisions off of these. If in a camera store, perhaps bring your camera in to test how the tripod can handle your camera. Most point and shoot users will not need to consider this though, unless you are: a.) checking out a cheap or otherwise flimsy tripod, or, b.) you have a heavy camera. Some great brands for low prices are Dynex, Sunpak, and Bogen-Manfrotto. Bogen makes great products, and, even though they are a bit pricey, you will definitely see it pay off in your photo shoots to come.

I have a tripod now. But how do I attach my camera?

So, you have your new tripod. Awesome! Now it's time to connect the camera to the tripod.

Here are the steps:

1.) Get out the camera.

2.) Get out the tripod.

3.) Get out the tripod heads included with the tripod.

4.) Screw the screw into the tripod mount thread (on the bottom of the camera.)

5.) Mount head.

You are now ready to shoot!

But, what can I shoot?

You can long exposures of anything at night time. People, trains, planes, buses, cars, streets, buildings, trucks, and anything else! It is a world of photo opportunities waiting to be cracked open.

How else can I get creative without using second long exposures?

This is a great question, with great answers. In fact, you can get creative in your own back yard! Find some leaves, or a tree. Put your camera on a slow shutter speed, most of the time 1/250 is acceptable. Hand hold it, press the shutter button halfway, and start wiggling, bouncing, running, panning or whatever other motion you want the camera. Check out the results! Try panning a car at 1/250! Try a train! Or a boat! Once you master the pan, you have a world of opportunity for awesome action shots!

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Examples of creative shutter speeds

3008101665_65456fd3e5.jpg

3008938622_da00806707.jpg

2992053023_86ab750a5c.jpg

2952279930_95808472b7.jpg

2949549315_a23410fa85.jpg

2894376229_a8300afc58.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.