Reaction score
whats happening before i buy?

20 Inch Intel iMac

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Upgraded to 2 Gigs of RAM

250 Gig Hard Drive

Built in Webcam

Wireless Internet Card

I will also include Mac Office 2008 on the cpu.

Looking for $800 OBO. Local Transactions ONLY!!!

iMac works but when it boots up it shows a folder with a ? mark on it. It may need a new hard drive, but I'm not sure. This cpu no longer has Applecare so it would need someone that wants to spend the extra $200 on a hard drive. I need to sell this ASAP b/c I need a cpu for school.

interested in buying the imac but the problem he's describing seems minimal, does anyone have a clue, or maybe it happened to someone who can shed light as of why a folder with a ?mark shows up/ thank in advance

OP
B
Reaction score
20 Inch Intel iMac

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Upgraded to 2 Gigs of RAM

250 Gig Hard Drive

Built in Webcam

Wireless Internet Card

iMac works but when it boots up it shows a folder with a ? mark on it. anyone know what might be the problem?

Reaction score
iMac works but when it boots up it shows a folder with a ? mark on it. It may need a new hard drive, but I'm not sure. This cpu no longer has Applecare so it would need someone that wants to spend the extra $200 on a hard drive. I need to sell this ASAP b/c I need a cpu for school.

interested in buying the imac but the problem he's describing seems minimal, does anyone have a clue, or maybe it happened to someone who can shed light as of why a folder with a ?mark shows up/ thank in advance

That probably either means the operating system installation is corrupt or incomplete. It can usually be fixed by reinstalling all the operating system. Trouble is that if there are any important files on there, they will be removed when reinstalling.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What that means is your system can not find the boot image. Either your system disk has gone bad or you have a corrupted OS. You will need to boot from your install media to verify if your system disk is okay, using disk utility.

OP
B
Reaction score
weird folder

i have a 20" imac, when it boots up a floder pops up with a question mark? any idea what that might be, thanks

OP
B
Reaction score
i firures it was something to do with the o.s, now he said he will take $400, whats the worst case if i had to buy a hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Are you talking about an icon on your dock? Just drag it off the dock/remove it from the dock using another method. Then, put it back. That's happened to me once. No biggy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2019, apple watch 5, iphone 11 pro max, ipad pro 12.9 inch 2nd gen. air pods, numerous
question marks

I just removed an earlier version of Parallels from my computer. After I did that the old Parallels icon was still in the dock with a big question mark through it, so it may be just a deleted program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.