G4 will not fully sleep or shut down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 running Tiger
When my G4 is either put to sleep or shut down afew moments later it begins to whir. It sounds like the cooling fan is running but not at full speed. I have replaced the PRAM battery and zapped the PRAM and PMU. This did nothing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sleep problems can be experienced by many things. Do you have any PCI cards installed, such as USB2 or controller cards?

Also go to Systems Preferences>Energy Saver and see if the computer is set to sleep there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 ,1.67 GHz,120 GB hard disk; Slot-Load SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
maybe you should reinstall os x

OP
scoope
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 running Tiger
Sleep problems can be experienced by many things. Do you have any PCI cards installed, such as USB2 or controller cards?

Also go to Systems Preferences>Energy Saver and see if the computer is set to sleep there.

No PCI cards and i have checked in Systems Preferences to make sure that the sleep setting is set.

Reaction score
i have a similar problem, except my G5 wont shut down... it just keeps restarting. the only time it successfully shuts downis when the tv/monitor is off... but the sleep light stays on but doesnt pulsate, im extremely confused and annoyed because i cant watch tv if i have the mac plugged in because it starts up as soon as i turn it on!

even with monitor/tv disconnected... the white LED at the front stays fully lit ALL the time, no noise. and when connected it cant b started up unless the tv is turned on

i GARUNTEE knowone here can help me... im no computer wizz but i have made many posts about this and still nothings worked

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.7 GHz Mac Pro, 30" HD cinema display, 12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM
Same problem here. Imac PPC on shutdown the screen seems to refresh from the top down resulting in a decreased brightness and a warning the computer needs to be restarted and to hold down the power button, the fan then goes into overdrive!

I have cleaned caches, checked harddrive, repaired permissions, zapped PRAM, reloaded OS 10.5 and downloaded all updates.

The trouble report screen seems to be pointing to Virex as the app which is causing the exception. I have also reinstalled it and downloaded all current updates. I guess I will remove Virex next.

I will keep this thread updated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.