VLC add subtitles on the fly

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a happy switcher and I got the new MBP 2 weeks ago.

I'm using VLC to play movies but the way of adding the subtitles is a bit annoying. I have to "open" the video file and open the subtitles file in the say time through the File menu.

When I open the video and then simply drag the subtitle file to the playing video it doesn't work. This was the way I did it on my PC before.

Is this supposed to work in OSX ?

Thanks,
Tex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
The only thing I can think of is to go under Video>Subtitles Track in VLC and select the subtitles you want.

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks but this option is grayed if the subtitle file is not in the same dir as the video.

Picture 16.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
Found it. Go under File>Open File. Check the "load subtitles file" box. Click settings, then browse for your file and choose the settings. Maybe try loading the video first, then loading the subtitle. Or the other way around. Hope this works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Hi,
I'm a happy switcher and I got the new MBP 2 weeks ago.

I'm using VLC to play movies but the way of adding the subtitles is a bit annoying. I have to "open" the video file and open the subtitles file in the say time through the File menu.

When I open the video and then simply drag the subtitle file to the playing video it doesn't work. This was the way I did it on my PC before.

Is this supposed to work in OSX ?

Thanks,
Tex

Have you tried dragging the subtitle file to the VLC dock icon instead?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.