overheating issue?

Reaction score
Was wondering if any of you macbook pro owners experience having your macbook being so hot?

Mine gets hot pretty often.. I have istat pro installed on my dashboard and it shows that both of my fans are working, but I was told that those fans would adjust speed depending on how hot is my laptop, but I always see them at 2,000 RPM even when my macbook is heating up.. Shouldnt they speed up to cool down my laptop?

Normally it would heat up a bit when I am on Microsoft Word.. or when I am watching a video clip or something.. For example today I hooked my macbook up to my LCD TV so I could watch a episode of Simpsons on the TV.. while I was watching, I checked the heat on my laptop and it was really hot.. about 140 degrees according to istat pro.. Is it normal for it to get hot while watching a clip or something?

I ve seen some people recommend others some kind of fan controller program to install so I can control the fans myself.. but the problem is that I couldnt get that program to work.. Not sure which program was it.. but I did try to install it a while ago but did not work just like I said.

any input would be appreciated, thanks

Reaction score
yeah mine has been doing that. it gets really hot underneath and the fans go crazy loud for a while. i dont know either. buts its annoying and it worries me.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I take that's 140F?

MacBook pros run hot. If it starts crashing then worry. They are safe at just under 90C. Mine sits at about 50C and that is great for me as it is cold in Japan. Think of your macbook pro as the best ever laptop/heater. My chipmunk sleeps on my MacBook pro on cold days when she actually wakes up that is.

OP
U
Reaction score
yeah it is 140F

it crashed maybe two times when it got really hot when I was typing up an essay on Microsoft Word.. but that was a while ago..

Even right now when I am doing absolutely nothing but browsing on the internet and the istat pro reads that my MBP is at 115F.. It is pretty warm..

I dont know why but this always worries me lol.. I dont like hot computers, hot=trouble to me.. But I guess I gotta get used to it since you guys are saying that MBP usually runs hot...

I am wondering if the new MBP still runs hot or that has been improved in the new generation of macbooks?

I bought this MBP about 7 months ago, I am wondering if there is any chance I could trade this one in for a new one and pay a small difference or it is not possible at all? I am in love with the new one and kicking myself for not waiting it out 7 months ago ha..

Reaction score
Macbook Pros are known for becoming very hot. I'm not sure if the most recent version has had the problem fixed or not. I got mine back in May, and mine gets really hot, and I know the problem also exists in the generation before mine. The problems was supposed to be "fixed" when I got mine, but, it definitely isn't.

It doesn't bother me too much, except for the fact that the reason I ended up dropping it off my bed and breaking it was because it was really hot and was burning my legs. So, I put it on top of a pillow and it slipped right off the pillow and crashed on the floor. I got a "lap desk" now which works well. It doesn't bring the temperature down at all, but if the issue is comfort on your lap, it works for that.

OP
U
Reaction score
I see.. I normally have it on my desk, rarely have it on my lap.. my friend suggested that I should get a external fan which might help..

But after reading some posts and all of your inputs, I just learned that it is normal for the MBP to run hot so I guess I gotta accept the fact that it is going to run hot at most of the time ha..

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have had three MacBook pros. I had a 2.16ghz CD, 2.33Ghz 17" and now a 2.53Ghz unibody. The hottest was the first then my unibody and the 17 was pretty good.

I wouldn't worry about fans the reason that the MBPs are Alu is that they absorb the heat better that plastic. It really helps with heat. When gaming I get over 70C that is when I get a little worried but it is stable so I just let it go. Apple and especially the pro line are made with great parts.

OP
U
Reaction score
I see, thats good to hear..

I am curious if the fans are supposed to increase speed as the temperature goes up? my fans always stay at 2,000 RPM.. it never spins faster if the temperature is higher than normal..

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah as the temp goes up the fans RPM should increase. If they are sitting at 2000RPM then you are doing well. Mine sits at about 2600RPM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC OS X v10.6
i have a MB i got back in Dec 07 .... gets pretty hot but mostly just on the top left half. Can anyone recommend a good laptop cooler thingy ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
I have the new Unibody macbook and I dont have a issue with it over hearting - It is also very quiet - Cant hear it unless u put your ear to it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.