Mac Mini, who's buyin?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
dynasty said:
What you gonna do with it in the car? How you gonna hook it up? Get some pics for us when it's done!

I already have power regulators in my bits-bin from various PC car setups I've built so I'll use one of them for the power, I'll have to source the teeny little power plug from somewhere or possibly just get a spare PSU for the Mini and cannibalise that.

Next I'll have to figure out the power on/off lines on the DVI connector and connect that through to the power regulator (so that if the ignition circuit is switched off the computer shuts down nicely rather than just yanking the plug so to speak).

Then I need to get the touch screen driver to work with the desktop so I don't have a mouse banging around in front of the car and finally I need to hook up the audio somehow. Initially I'll probably fit a separate audio amp to driver the speakers and just switch the input between the existing head unit and the Mini until I can source a decent USB tuner that works with OSX. Noise is a big problem with PC setups in cars, I'm hoping the Mini will be electrically quiet in that respect as car amps tend to be rather sensitive to it (you know like when you use the windscreen wiper motors and can hear the whining noise on the speakers, well try sticking a switched mode PSU in there with 5000 RPM fan and see what that sounds like!), hopefully I won't have to spend a fortune on filtering and isolators.

As to what I'll use it for ...

Initially it will just replace my 10 Disc CD player (with a 20,000 track jukebox, whoo hoo) but eventually I plan to hook up the GPS (the car has a factory installed GPS system but you have to pay a monthly fee to use it! I'll yank that out I reckon) and either run PC car navigator software under the emulator or try to source an OSX version from somewhere (not having any luck finding that particular app at present).

I'm also planning on putting a 15" screen in the rear of the car, probably so it can hook onto either front seat, that way the rear seat passengers can watch DVDs at a decent size (I'll have them wear headphones or something).

My last plan is to install an iPod docking thingy in the car so that whilst I'm driving the iPod can be updating and charhing then when I get out the other end I can just take the iPod with me, if I sort out the audio properly I could even have it such that the iPod can drive the amp for the car speakers whilst the Mini just feeds the headphones in the rear, that way I can listen to all my "crap" music whilst the little darlings watch Scooby Doo for the umpteenth time in the back of the car, should make the "going away on holiday" trip more bearable for all of us.

Once I figured out all the above I'll repeat the whole experience for my boat so I can transfer all the hardware (displays, keyboards, iPod, GPS etc) whilst leaving the wiring in situ, for similar reasons as above when we are on the boat the rugrats can be inside in the warm watching DVDs or playing games whilst I am outside enjoying the stiff chilly (hey this is the UK) sea air.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Amen-Moses said:

And I get annoyed when people talk on cell phones instead of paying attention. :mac:

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
technologist said:
And I get annoyed when people talk on cell phones instead of paying attention. :mac:

Actually if I can reduce the bickering coming from the rear of the car and simplify my source of music in the front (i.e by being ably to string together long playlists in advance rather than fiddling around with the CD player trying to skip over tracks) then I should have more attention to pay to the traffic jam I'm in. ;)

Amen-Moses

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I really want one even though I don't need it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If I had the $$$ on me today I would have brought one home with me. Was at my Local CompUSA here in town and 3 just came in when I was there with a friend. I have $$$ coming but want it now. I was going to ask my friend for a loan but ran out of guts. I can pay back in a month or so but still did not want to ask so I will have to wait.

I have a G4 500 Sawtooth and P4 2.53Ghz on the PC side that I use for Video Editing right now. I use the Mac for most everything else but need a bit more speed but at present don't have a lot of $$$ for a G5 Imac. I will use the Mac Mini for what I use the G4 500 for now and maybe later after I add a Firewire drive Video Editing also with FCP as I really do not like Adobe Premier.

I was quite suprised they had them in stock at CompUSA.

Oh almost forgot, For gaming I have an AMD Athlon XP system with ATI 9600 Radeon so I am covered for any games.

Reaction score
just got back from the apple store... got the educational discount. i won't be opening it until i sell my dell. that way, i can still return it and wait for another day.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I was going to get a Mac mini, but the bus is way too crippled...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.