Volumes showing even when not connected

Reaction score
Hi, this is my problem:

Doing Get Info on my iPod shows it as "<My name>iPod 1". But in iTunes, and on Get Info for the iPod itself, it shows a "<My name>iPod".

If I go into Terminal and /Volumes, there are two listings- the iPod, and iPod 1.

I've completely reset my iPod to see if that will rectify matters. It hasn't.

Even without the iPod connected it still shows as a Volume. If I try umount, I get the message:

umount: <My name> iPod: not currently mounted

I got round it by changing the iPod name. However, now I have two instances of the new name, with one showing all the time on volumes

How can I remove these "rogue" values and stop this recurring?

OP
Q
Reaction score
OK, I've solved it! I'm not sure if this will stop it happening again, but this eliminated the issue.

By chance, I was running Disk Inventory X. In the graphical display there is a section called Volumes, and sat in there were all the iPods that my system thought were connected when they weren't.

There is a Move to Trash option, so I thought "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" and gave it a go - it worked!!

Hope this comes in handy for anyone else who may get this issue

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.