Camera help. Which one?

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Hey guys

I know this is a Mac forum but I figured I would ask.

I am going to start shooting again soon. I found a Nikon D60 that is reasonable priced and just wanted your thoughts on if it is a good camera for a newbie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Meh. It's OK. You'd be better off buying a used D80 or something similar.

The D40 and D60 cameras will only auto focus with lenses that have internal auto focus motors and not all of Nikon's lenses have AF motors in them. Just one nitpick.

The D80 is a much better camera over all, if you want to stay with Nikon.

OP
B&O

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The D60 I am looking at is pretty cheap and new. I think it will last me a while until I need to upgrade anything since I am pretty much a newbie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Mac Book 13.3"
If you dont need an SLR you should look at the Cannon G10..will do everything the D60 will do and better..It's a 14 mpix cam..Fully manual..Takes amazing pics. If you can find one in stock they run $499

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The D60 I am looking at is pretty cheap and new. I think it will last me a while until I need to upgrade anything since I am pretty much a newbie.

A used D80 would probably be about the same price and has much better features and is a much better camera. If you're set on something though, then it's not going to help asking for advice that much...

If you dont need an SLR you should look at the Cannon G10..will do everything the D60 will do and better..It's a 14 mpix cam..Fully manual..Takes amazing pics. If you can find one in stock they run $499

So the G10 will shoot indoors and in low light with out being noisy? Like say a d60 with a 70-200 f/2.8 VR on it?

It's not a Canon Vs. Nikon thing. I shoot Canon. I like Canon. It's a don't bring a knife to a gun fight thing.

OP
B&O

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I am going to pick up the camera this week or weekend and get shooting again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Have you considered the Pentax K200d?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.