"Limited Use" and "Cannot Sync"

Reaction score
When I plugged in my iPod tonight, it notified me that "my iPod cannot be synced. I do not have the privilege to make changes."

And then, it says that "the disk was not repairable by this computer. It is being made available to you with limited functionality. You must back up your data and reformat the disk as soon as possible".

I've been having problems with it lately for some reason...I'll plug it in and it says that I must restore it to factory settings, in which case I eject it, hold down center & menu, and plug it back in and it's good. But that's happened a bit lately.

I wonder if it's about to crash? That would be sad. I can't keep the generations straight, but it's the one that most people call the "iPod video". 30 GB...it's no where near being full, it's about half-way full. I always remove it properly by ejecting it first, and I barely ever drop it. I synced music and videos on earlier today, I wonder why it just completely stopped working all of a sudden.

Anyone know if there's anything I can do? Or am I looking at investing in a new iPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
If I'm not correct, it is technically a 5th gen iPod classic, but a 1st gen video.

If so, then I have the same model as you do.

I would try to restore it first. The thing's gotta be almost a year old.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.