White macbook stains.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, iPod Classic
Hi, I'm new :)

Anyways, does anyone who has the white macbook have these stains on and around the trackpad:

Apple Acknowledges MacBook Stains As Manufacturing Defect - It looks like they have changed the plastics used... - Softpedia

I've only had my macbook for a few weeks and I'm already noticing some stains. Now, that article was written in 2006.... you'd think they would have fixed the problem by now.

Does anyone else have these stains, and if so, what did you do about it? Did you ask Apple for some kind of replacement top case, or is there some way to clean them off? I've tried rubbing alcohol on it to no avail (I know, alcohol isn't the best thing for the plastic but I couldn't think of anything else that might work).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I found that a degreaser like Simple Green works pretty well with a cloth, not paper, towel.

OP
batsy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found that a degreaser like Simple Green works pretty well with a cloth, not paper, towel.

Is there a generic product that works like that? Something I might already have?

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
there is a very simple way. Get a white eraser or rubber (that's british english , I know what you yanks think it is LOL).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
there is a very simple way. Get a white eraser or rubber (that's british english , I know what you yanks think it is LOL).

Don't use a pink one though! It makes it worse.

A little blue glass cleaning fluid sprayed on a white terrycloth towel works fairly well. Spray a very small spot on the towel and rub with the towel stretched over the tip of your finger.

Also, I've never tried it, but rumor has it that a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders.

Reaction score
Yeah, I have minor ones but I just get a wet paper towel and rub them off. But thats when they're really not to noticeable. The paper towel doesn't work the best but its a quick way and it helps somewhat.

OP
batsy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well... I've tried erasers and various cleaning products, even alcohol, and they don't budge. I thought these kinds of stains wouldn't come off? Or did Apple fix the problem?

Reaction score
thanks for the eraser tip!

hey, i'm new too :)

i bought my $999 macbook 3 weeks ago and from day 1 i've been treating very gently - i put it into an InCase right away and keep washing my hands before using it, so i was really upset to see the stains around the trackpad.

a white eraser certainly helped a lot, but i can still vaguely see the discoloration spots. i wonder if they'll come back later... pretty annoying.

and i guess apple did fix this problem... they just stopped making white macbooks :)

OP
batsy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ugh. The stains are getting worse and much more visible and they DON'T come off. I'm really considering taking it in. Don't they test these machines?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
its acid ,in your sweat, it does not happen to everyone.

OP
batsy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Success! I brought the laptop in to my local Apple store, and after an employee looked at it and talked to someone else (manager, maybe) he agreed to replace the topcase.

I asked him if he thought it would happen again, and he said no, that it was probably a "fluke", even though it's an extremely reported problem and there was even a girl at the Genius bar next to me with a new white macbook that appeared to have the exact same stains.

Oh, well. If it happens again I'll just bring it back in again. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Glad you got it fixed. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser usually takes the stains right out.

OP
batsy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it fixed. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser usually takes the stains right out.

Seriously? You didn't get the part where I said that they wouldn't come off? Even the guy in the Apple store said "you didn't do this."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seriously? You didn't get the part where I said that they wouldn't come off? Even the guy in the Apple store said "you didn't do this."

Well all you used was rubbing alcohol....:Sleeping:

It was probably just your dirty hands. The problem stated in the article you posted was for older Macbooks. Apple acknowledged the problem back in July of 06. The newest Macbooks (not the aluminum ones) had the defect already fixed.

OP
batsy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well all you used was rubbing alcohol....:Sleeping:

It was probably just your dirty hands. The problem stated in the article you posted was for older Macbooks. Apple acknowledged the problem back in July of 06. The newest Macbooks (not the aluminum ones) had the defect already fixed.

Yeah, that's the only thing I posted that I tried.

If I told you that I had actually used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, would you agree with me that it was a defective topcase? Because I did, upon many people's advice. And it didn't work. There was a month between my last post and the post after I got the topcase replaced, and in that time I tried a few more things, including the Eraser. Your magic product didn't magically remove the issue.

If it was a regular issue, I doubt the Genius would have called it a "fluke", said "you didn't do this", and replaced the topcase immediately.

And for some reason, I don't know, personal experience begs me to disagree that the issue was fixed.

I don't care to continue this argument, because obviously you weren't there and I don't have the time to explain every little detail. But the issue was resolved, at least for now, and that is all that matters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like my original post said....glad you got it fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.