mac mini memory?

Reaction score
I'm not a real big Mac guy. I bought a Mac Mini a few months ago and am still trying to learn the in's and out's of Leopard. I was looking in Activity Monitor the other day and noticed the amount of memory usage. The Mac Mini came with the standard 1gb of ram of course. Sitting idle right now, nothing running but Activity Monitor and Safari, Activity Monitor is reporting that 740mb of system memory is currently in use. Should Leopard be using that much ram sitting idle? Also, in Activity Monitor, is break the ram usage up into categories of Active, Inactive, and Wired. What are the differences? Better yet, active and inactive are somewhat self explanatory, but what is Wired?

Thanks in advance

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wired memory is used by the system; active memory is used by currently running applications; inactive memory was used by recently closed applications, which allows them to reopen quickly, and free memory is unused.

The power of google. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini
I bought memory from OWC & followed their video on opening a Mac Mini to fit the memory. No problem, so I bought the upgrade DVD writer & fitted that too. It's great little machine does everything I want including Photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 ,1.67 GHz,120 GB hard disk; Slot-Load SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
Is Your Mac slower? if not this can be normal. You should just reset the ram and see whay happens

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.