Old vs. New. Which one?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I found out my university store is selling the old MBP at closeout prices. What are the advantages offered by the new MBP compared to the old one? Here are my options:

2.4Ghz MBP with 256MB Video, 200Gb hard drive-->$1399
2.5Ghz MBP with 512MB Video, 250Gb hard drive-->$1599
New MBP 2.4Ghz with 256MB GDDR3 and 250Gb-->$1899

Please keep in mind the price does matter. I am just thinking about the overall best values.

Thanks,
AZ

Reaction score
The usual, what you are you gonna do with the MBP?, what programs?, and so on...

Reaction score
The old one is certainly a better value.

The old 2.5GHz model will perform better at nearly everything than the new 2.4GHz, and the old 2.4GHz only marginally worse.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The CPU has a higher Cache, and DDR3 RAM is very fast. That's probably it. Everything else is pretty cosmetic. IE. Glasspad and everything else. Maybe the GPU is slightly better because it has two chips sets...?

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am getting my PhD in Materials Science and Engineering. I occasionally do some ANSYS modelling. But my main use of the laptop is for presentations and ms office stuff. I just went and purchased the new Macbook 2.4ghz. I chose it because of its increased portability, good integrated graphics and amazing construction. The MBP is not for me because it is significantly heavier.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thanks for the replies. I am getting my PhD in Materials Science and Engineering. I occasionally do some ANSYS modelling. But my main use of the laptop is for presentations and ms office stuff. I just went and purchased the new Macbook 2.4ghz. I chose it because of its increased portability, good integrated graphics and amazing construction. The MBP is not for me because it is significantly heavier.

I'd say that's a good choice as well. ^-^" I like the size of the 13" MB myself, but I often times find myself using my 17" a lot more. I only bring my 13" MB with me when I'm at school, and when I'm sitting in my car waiting waiting on my g/f. >_<"

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I think you made the right choice. People keep forgetting that the way in which the new GPUs handle HD video is very different. Also the GPU will be very important for Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.