What is the Nikon answer to Canon 40D?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I've actually got 2 questions:

1st: Does anyone know if the 40D is being replaced by the 50D?

I have seen conflicting answers to this - a magazine [What Digital Camera] says that the 50D is not a replacement for the 40D and that the 50D is to fill a spot in the market where canon had no product. Then I go to the camera store to have a play and the girl in the shop tells me they don't stock the 40D as it has been replaced by the 50D - both should be trusted to give an honest answer yet they differ quite a bit in that answer...

2nd: What is the Nikon model that should compete with the 40D?

I was happy with the sort of price points of the canon 40D and as I'm not an SLR owner I am not tied to either system. I had been drawn to the Canon offerings (for some reason) but the one I was interested in may have been taken away so what are my Nikon options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
No, 50D is just another camera upgrade, I am sure most 40D users might upgrade to it though. I think the D90 answered the D50.

Reaction score
I've actually got 2 questions:

1st: Does anyone know if the 40D is being replaced by the 50D?

I have seen conflicting answers to this - a magazine [What Digital Camera] says that the 50D is not a replacement for the 40D and that the 50D is to fill a spot in the market where canon had no product. Then I go to the camera store to have a play and the girl in the shop tells me they don't stock the 40D as it has been replaced by the 50D - both should be trusted to give an honest answer yet they differ quite a bit in that answer...

2nd: What is the Nikon model that should compete with the 40D?

I was happy with the sort of price points of the canon 40D and as I'm not an SLR owner I am not tied to either system. I had been drawn to the Canon offerings (for some reason) but the one I was interested in may have been taken away so what are my Nikon options?

1) It's really a slight "upgrade" from the 40D. Not a completely new camera, but just a few inner-workings have been upgraded. The main advantages that the 50D has over the 40D is the higher resolution sensor, hi-res LCD, ISO up to 12800, and that's pretty much it if I remember correctly.

2) The Nikon model would be the D300. Which competes with the 40D and 50D very closely.

OP
RNDdave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so I don't really want to go for the 50D just at minute as the price is a little steep for me.

Do you guys think I'm likely to still find the 40D on shelves by Feb which is about when I'd be looking to buy?

OR: should I just wait till later next year to afford the 50D?

Thanks the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so I don't really want to go for the 50D just at minute as the price is a little steep for me.

Do you guys think I'm likely to still find the 40D on shelves by Feb which is about when I'd be looking to buy?

OR: should I just wait till later next year to afford the 50D?

Thanks the advice.

Take the 30D.... there isn't too much of a difference and the price is better.

Besides, it all comes down to the lens in the end. Don't spend alot on a body.

OP
RNDdave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh ok, thanks for the tip - are they still easily found?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Take the 30D.... there isn't too much of a difference and the price is better.

Besides, it all comes down to the lens in the end. Don't spend alot on a body.

Actually, the 40D is a decent upgrade from the 30D, unlike the 20-30 and the 40-50.

Larger LCD, live view, 10mp, 14bit vs. 12 (one of the big ones), and digic III vs. DIGIC II.

I'm sure there's other upgrades, but for the slight price, it may be worth it. I got the 30D when it first came out and had a slight notion to sell it and upgrade to the 40D to have as a second camera once the 5D upgrade launched.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15' - Ultimate Drive- 100GB hard drive
I think the reason there is confusion here is because the 50D has not much different about it except for one major thing, mirrors. The mirrors infront of the digital sensor (what is used instead of film) are now spaced closer to the sensor in the 50D then they were in the 40D. So what does a couple of millimeters matter? The biggest difference is that it greatly reduces the noise at high ISO. Amazing quality in the low light areas. A great thing for wedding photographers

Reaction score
The 50D isn't all that much of an upgrade from the 40D. I won't be 'upgrading' and instead will likely use the release of the 50D and the 5DMII to scoop up another 40D to use as a backup body. I currently use and love my 40D. If you're stuck on brand new B&H has good pricing as does Amazon but if you don't mind used you can pick them up for a steal on craigslist and the Buy and Sell forum at fredmiranda.com

As for the answer to the 40D.... Nikon didn't really do that. They released the D300 which is a kickbutt camera if you don't mind the kickbutt pricetag to go with it (and if you're not already a Canon addict)

OP
RNDdave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
going off-piste on this question now - thinking of a Nikon D90 - any thoughts?

I have no lens so I am not tied to a system.

Reaction score
I've heard good things about the D90 but I haven't gotten to mess with one. My biggest suggestion would be to head to a camera store and actually try out all of these cameras. Decide which feels best in your hands and which has controls you like best. Both Canon and Nikon have great lenses though many people agree that Canon has a wider range of awesome glass, Nikon tends to be higher priced.

OP
RNDdave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't realise the Nikon glass was the more expensive; that kind of scares me a little :)

I will say that having played with the 50D - which wasn't really what I wanted to play with but the store didn't have a 40D at the time - AND the D90; I do prefer the feel of the D90.

Reaction score
1) It's really a slight "upgrade" from the 40D. Not a completely new camera, but just a few inner-workings have been upgraded. The main advantages that the 50D has over the 40D is the higher resolution sensor, hi-res LCD, ISO up to 12800, and that's pretty much it if I remember correctly.

2) The Nikon model would be the D300. Which competes with the 40D and 50D very closely.

out performs both on every level im afraid lol

Reaction score
Having used both the 40D and the D300 I have to disagree that it 'out performs both on every level'. In low light it's got some great advantages but after shooting side by side with a friend who owns and loves her D300 we've both agreed that photos from the 40D and D300 are so similar it's not even an issue. Now mind you this is with quality glass on both.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.