what kind of cable do I need to hook my mbp up to my LCD HDTV to watch movies?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 13" MacBook
If the TV has a VGA/DVI port then get the VGA/DVI adaptor from the Apple website/similar store. Then a standard VGA/DVI cable from the adaptor to tv.

EDIT - just realised it's a MacBook Pro. If it's the previous model then it will have a DVI port, so if the TV has a DVI port then a standard DVI to DVI cable will do.

Reaction score
pro comes with dvi to vga adapter.. so just get Male/Male VGA cable and hook it up to the tv..

that is what I do

Reaction score
Bought a DVI to HDMI cable from Amazon. Hopefully works :D

Reaction score
Bought a DVI to HDMI cable from Amazon. Hopefully works :D

it would work but from my experience, you will have hard time getting the screen to fit the TV properly..

It was not possible for me to fit the screen 100%.. Even with my VGA cable, the screen is slightly bigger than the TV itself so very small portion of the screen is not viewable on the TV.. does not really bother me.. and my TV got a PC input so I thought VGA cable is the way to go rather than using HDMI cable because both of my HDMI ports are used by my Xbox 360 and Ps3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.