Automatically open file on download

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.2ghz 4gb ram white
Hi, what i'd like to do is the following:

whenever i download nzb files to my download folder, i'd like them to automatically open. (which in turn will open the software they are related to) How can i do this in macosx?

Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Safari > General > "Open safe files after downloading"

Reaction score
Unfortunately, "nzb" files are not considered "safe files" and will not be opened automatically even with that option checked off. What program are you using to download nzb? Perhaps, like many torrent programs, it has a folder monitoring option that will watch a folder for nzb files..and then automatically start downloading them?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.2ghz 4gb ram white
i'm just downloading them with Safari, thanks for the help though!

Reaction score
I understand you're downloading them with safari, I'm asking what program you actually use to download the files the nzb files point to. For example, I use safari to download the the torrent file, but transmission to download actual torrent content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Unfortunately, "nzb" files are not considered "safe files" and will not be opened automatically even with that option checked off. What program are you using to download nzb? Perhaps, like many torrent programs, it has a folder monitoring option that will watch a folder for nzb files..and then automatically start downloading them?
Ah good point!

You could use Folder actions to tell your "Downloads" folder to automatically open nzb files in your app of choice. But folder actions can get a bit complicated...

Hazel would also do this nicely, but isn't free: Noodlesoft: Hazel

Reaction score
Hope this thread comes up again...

I'm having the same problem as the OP but with docx or pptx files. i've already checked off "open safe files after downloading" but it still doesn't work.

is this a problem with docx? How can I get around it quickly?

thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.