Creating an updated OS X install disc

Reaction score
Although I have a copy of OS X Leopard, it is an early version and hence without the numerous updates that have been received via software update since. The question is: how do I use disc utility or other to create a installation disc which has all the latest updates on it, should I need to reinstall the operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Insert the disk, selected "Mac OS X Install DVD" on the left side of the Disk Utility windowand go to the menu bar in Disk Utility and from the 'File' menu choose "New -> Disk Image from disk 3s3 (Mac OS X Install DVD)…". It should be selectable if you've highlighted the disk in the Disk Utility window.

In the 'Convert Image' window give the image the same name as the Install DVD. For 'Image Format' select "read/write" (don't worry, you're not going to mount the image or write to it…the finished image just needs to be a .dmg. For Encryption select "none". Save the image to someplace other than the Desktop.

You should be able to add some updaters to the image, if there is room, if not hunt down the Xcode installer package and delete it to make room

Once done you can burn the image using disk utility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
I have all the major updates written to CD as they come in; this too will save you having to download again in the event of a re-install.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Unless you're on really slow broadband, or regularly install a bunch of Macs, this seems like a gigantic waste of time and effort to me...

By the time you've burnt the disc there will be a new update out anyway. Since the incremental updates usually aren't much smaller than the combined updates, it makes more sense to me to just install whatever OS version you have on disc and then get the latest and greatest via the built-in updater.

Reaction score
I think the best way to accomplish not exactly what you're looking for but the next best thing.... Save the latest combo update to a cd or USB drive... Install OSX from the original disk, and then simply install the combo updater. That will take care of many of the updates, and cut down on download time. Naturally, there are still updates that aren't covered in the combo updater, but those are not a big deal to redownload/install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Yes, that's what I was referring to, I only write the combo updates to CD.

Cheers:)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Aptmunich advises nowadays not really worth the trouble burning to CD/DVD. The updaters after a clean install will load all updates required and with fast broadband, an hour or less is the max requirement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
As Aptmunich advises nowadays not really worth the trouble burning to CD/DVD. The updaters after a clean install will load all updates required and with fast broadband, an hour or less is the max requirement.

While this is true, things like restoring from a time machine backup have been improved since 10.5.0, so if you have the 10.5.0 installation disk (like I do) and you want to re-install from a time machine backup, you wouldn't get the advantages of the newer versions.

That being said, I understand how to make the disk into a disk image, but I don't understand how to add the updates to that image.

Edit: Never-mind, I figured it out, you just mount the disk image and then install the updates to that disk image.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.