@ The Apple Store Tonight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Aluminum with 4GB / MacMini / 160GB Ipod Classic / 8GB Ipod Touch
Tonight I took a trip to the local Apple store to put my hands on the new MacBook to try and figure out what I would like to get. I am currently shopping to replace my PC laptop with a new Mac for for work. As an account manager for a local imaging/computer supply company, I travel (local) a great deal and use my laptop daily. The main purpose would be e-mail and having quotes and specs on hand. I currently work from home and have a very nice desktop PC that I do not wish to replace and recently purchased a mac mini for the purpose of getting to know the mac OS.

My thought on the way to the store was a new 13-inch macBook 2.0 GHz with an upgrade to 4GB of DDR3 and a 250GB Drive; however, then i started playing with the MacBook Air!

I think that this would be a great laptop but the fact that I can only get 2GB scares me (like i said I am new to the mac world). When I purchased my Mac Mini I upgraded that to 2GB when i got home and it seams to be fine with everything that i have used it for.

What I am looking for is your thoughts on the MacBook vs. MacBook Air.

Lack of Ports (does this bother you)
Battery (Air would have to be changed at the Apple Store)
Performance Difference ????
2GB vs 4GB

The optical drive does not sound like a problem as i do not use it on the road.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What kind of programs are you using for your work?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most of it is MS Excel, but I do have a copy of office for mac so i do not think that will be a big deal.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
2GB is the minimum for what you are doing. I would get something that can use 4GB on the safe side, so you don't get the beach ball of death. >_>"

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm that is what i was thinking but i thought maybe 2GB was ok with the Mac OS

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think either one will suit you fine, which everyone you decide on. It sounds like you will just be using your Mac for business and work. I think the MBA will suit your needs.

The MB is also very portable, I do most of my work on it because I do a lot of design work. I need the extra power for working on high res imaging.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Has anyone had any problems with the Air?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alumibook 2.4, 4GB | 1TB Time Capsule | 30GB Video iPod
2GB is more than enough for the office suite plus e-mail. Where you get in trouble is running virtual machines and stuff like that.

If 2GB weren't enough for common computing (office suite, e-mail, web browsing, messaging) mac wouldn't offer it.

Personally I had the last gen macbook air and currently have a new macbook. I did the 4GB RAM upgrade and it was worth it, I run a windows virtual machine constantly so I like having the extra space and more ram allocated to it.

I got rid of the air because I needed more hard drive capacity, and more horsepower. Two things that mac has upgraded in the new release macbook air.

If you got a new one with the works it would be an absolutely amazing machine.

1.8GHz 6MB L2
128GB SSD
2GB PC-8500 DDR3

That is turning me on just thinking about it!

I think the perfect air would be:

2.0GHz or Higher 6MB L2
256GB SSD
4GB DDR3

That plus the air chassis would justify the high price to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
I have only recently upgraded to 2GB from 1GB. I do a lot of photoshop work and it suits me fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
For what you want to do, 1Gb would be enough.

2Gb is plenty.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input, I would have to run vm ware with XP but do not plan to use it much. the more i think about it, I am thinking it would be fine as i do have alot loaded on this mac mini and it runs great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
I sold both of mine hated the constant fans going with any flash ad, heat was bad, Rev A looks great but slow, also needs more then 2G IMHO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
I think for what you are doing both would work. I do not own either of these (getting a new macbook in about a month) but like your said you travel alot so the Macbook air might be good for less weight. I have heard they can get a little hot and sometimes a little noisy. But if the weight thing isn't that much of an issue I think I would go with the macbook. Mainly becuase they are silent and keep very cool. They have more ports (maybe you will need them some day for work) and more hard drive space. And they are cheaper.

As far as the RAM issue goes I think that 2gb's in either machine would be good for what you are doing. But if you deiced to get the macbook you could always start with 2gb's then upgrade to 4gb's if you think you needed it.

Good luck on your new machine :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
2GB is the minimum for what you are doing. I would get something that can use 4GB on the safe side, so you don't get the beach ball of death. >_>"

Don't forget he can always upgrade his RAM.... it might be cheaper than buying more RAM pre installed.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all of the help everyone, I think that I will pic up the 2.4 13" Macbook with 4GB this week. Sounds like this is the best deal if i plan to keep it for any amount of time.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an update, once again thanks everyone for the help. I picked up the new 13" Macbook with 4gig and I love it, this is by far the best laptop that i have ever owned.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an update, once again thanks everyone for the help. I picked up the new 13" Macbook with 4gig and I love it, this is by far the best laptop that i have ever owned.

Couldn't be any happier for you. Well I would be even happier when I get my own. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.