Lost Mac 9.0 Software

E

etorres769

My uncle uses Macs and he misplaced his 9.0 software for Macs and just recently got a G5 iMac. He needs the software because a lot of his programs run on the older mac version. Is there anyway I can get the software somewhere for free? I'm sorry I don't know macs, I am getting his old G4 though, so you'll se me here more often. Please help me, and thanks!

Eddie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can install Classic support (OS 9) off of the second OS X install disc that came with his G5 iMac

OP
E

etorres769

trpnmonkey41 said:
You can install Classic support (OS 9) off of the second OS X install disc that came with his G5 iMac

Could you please give me instructions on how to do so because I'm Mac illeterate. So a comes with a CD and I search for Classic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
the g5 imac shouldve come with a disc called software restore, or something similiar, openit and there should be an installer that say install classic support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
To continue on with this question....
I bought an ibook from someone who had 9 installed but I wiped it out to do a clean install because I didn't want all of her junk that she had. So from the clean install it didn't REinstall 9.
Is there a way I can reinstall 9? I tried with an original 9 CD and it didn't work but from the posts above it looks like I need the osx cd, correct? (which I have).

OP
E

etorres769

Macman said:
the g5 imac shouldve come with a disc called software restore, or something similiar, openit and there should be an installer that say install classic support.

Thanks MacMan, i'm going over on Friday and see if we can install some stuff. I really appreciate it and i'll be on here more often because I don't know anything about Macs (i've used Windows all my life). Thanks again.

OP
P

phatsew

MACyMouse said:
To continue on with this question....
I bought an ibook from someone who had 9 installed but I wiped it out to do a clean install because I didn't want all of her junk that she had. So from the clean install it didn't REinstall 9.
Is there a way I can reinstall 9? I tried with an original 9 CD and it didn't work but from the posts above it looks like I need the osx cd, correct? (which I have).

If you have a full version of OS9, and you don't want OSX installed, you don't have to install it. You can install just OS9. Put the CD in the drive, hold the C key as you boot, and you'll get the original OS9 install desktop. There you can partition and install OS9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I didn't explain that right.
I have OSX 10.3.7 but I want to add 9 to it. The ibook originally HAD 9 and 10 installed but I did a clean install of just 10.
Does the CD's that came with this iBook have 9 to put back on it? Or do I need an original os9 CD?
I had tried to install 9 after 10 with a 9 CD but it didn't work.

OP
W

Wapa18

phatsew said:
If you have a full version of OS9, and you don't want OSX installed, you don't have to install it. You can install just OS9. Put the CD in the drive, hold the C key as you boot, and you'll get the original OS9 install desktop. There you can partition and install OS9.

not true. if he's trying to install it on an imac G5, it won't work. the G5 chip does not support booting into OS9, because OS9 does not have support for the G5 written in it, just the classic environment.

OP
F

funky

MACymouse, the following would do what you want.
Macman said:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an iBook G3 and yes, I found the software restore with os9 on it. That worked just fine.

OP
K

knightrdr

Os 9

etorres769 said:
My uncle uses Macs and he misplaced his 9.0 software for Macs and just recently got a G5 iMac. He needs the software because a lot of his programs run on the older mac version. Is there anyway I can get the software somewhere for free? I'm sorry I don't know macs, I am getting his old G4 though, so you'll se me here more often. Please help me, and thanks!

Eddie

I have an OS 9 CD if you still need it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.