(<-- 10.4 I think) Did my hardrive get deleted? I'd appreciate an answer.

Reaction score
I am thinking that my hardrive was removed from my MacBook either by a program virus or a web transfered virus. 've had my Mac for about two years now, and I really do not like seeing a blinking folder icon with a question mark on it when I boot my Mac up. I am on my Dell at the moment. I prefer my Mac but as you can tell my Mac isn't in such good condition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
No, your hard drive has not been "removed". The blinking folder/? indicates that the OS cannot find a boot sector, namely your computer's hard drive.

The reasons for that may be complex, but the first thing to do is to boot your computer from the original dvd that came with the computer, and then run Disk Utility. You need to check the condition/state of your Macbook hard drive, and effect repairs if necessary.

If you don't know how to do that, post again.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Sounds like the HDD died. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you tried hughvane's excellent advice as yet?

Boot from the install DVD and go to Utilities>Disk Utility>Repair Disk and let's know how you are progressing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.