12" Powerbook RAM upgrade

G

gabe90

Ok, so I've decided I need to upgrade my Powerbook's RAM. It runs too slowly for me, and RAM is cheap. I have a few things that I'm not completely sure about and I'd appreciate some help.

1. I have a 1.33Ghz 12" Powerbook. I got it about 7 months ago. I think it's still the same one on the market right now. As I understand it there is 256mb or ram installed into these machines automatically and a second slot where you can add upto 1gig or ram? Is that right. I think so, but when I looked at the apple manual (http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/pbg4/pbg4-12in-mem.pdf) it looked to me like there will only be one area for only one memory stick/card/thing to go into. Do I have my facts straight?

2. No assuming that I can install another memory card ontop of my already installed 256, what size card do you all recomend? I use my computer pretty causally with some downloading here and there, and some DVD burning, and some internet surfing and email and nothing too intensive, but I don't want to find myself unable to run programs I want to use in the future. Well not the iminent future anyways. So what will the benefits of 512mb upgrade vs a 256 mb upgrade, and even a 1gig mb upgrade?

Thanks a bunch.
Gabe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There is 256 built into the logic board which you can't mess with.

Then there is an extra slot where you can put up to 1gb for a total of 1.25 gb.

I would recommend at least adding 512mb. 768 mb will allow you to run just about anything you would need.

Your computer uses PC2700 DDR266 200-pin SO-DIMM memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
1. thats right, the manual wont show the slot for 'built in' ram or irremovable ram, cause its under the edge and you have to look at a certain angle to see it anyway, plus you cant remove it anyway, so its most likely just easier for apple to show the ram slot youll work with. and yes, you can only add a 1 gb stick to max out at 1.25 gb.
2. the only time youll notice any real difference is when running multiple apps at a time, or running a couple of big apps. youll probably notice the most difference with a 1 gb stick, especially starting up your ibook. I think youll ned DDR PC2100.

OP
G

gabe90

You guys are really fast and helpful. Thanks a bunch.

As for buying the memory everyone keeps saying crucial.com. I went there, and it seemed fair, but I was wondering if there are any other competitors that I could ckeck out. Any recomendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
www.newegg.com is a pretty good site to check out different prices

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
otherworlcomputing.com is pretty good. or you can go straight to the RAMs brand site, like kinston.com for kingston ram.

OP
M

menace3054

i got mine from 4allmemory.com

definately go for the 1gb chip for around 250 from there. i bought a 512 chip first and it was fine, but I always regreted not going for the maximum. then i finally did, and it ended up costing 250 more on top of the 115 i already spent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.