Resetting Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hey guys my sister just sent me her old macbook pro since she got a new air, and I didn't use it for a while and didn't bother asking her for the password, now no one knows the password and she can't find the cd to reboot the computer. I talked to alot of computer repair people and most don't know how to reset the computer to factory settings without the cd. Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Try this:

Reboot the computer.

Hold down command+s after the chime.

At the prompt enter the following. Hit return after each line.
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

When you reboot you will get the Apple setup, just as you would after a fresh install. Create a new account and Just delete the old one.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks buddy, I'll give it a try asap and let you know what happens. Greatly appreciated!

OP
O
Reaction score
Worked perfect, didn't think it could be that easy, wow. Thanks alot, I'm completely new to macs but from just playing around it looks way better than vista. How would I find out my ram, hard drive space, model, etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
No problem.:)

Apple menu in top left corner, About This Mac. That will show your processor and RAM. For more info click on More Info.

Reaction score
Would this method be able to just reset one account on the MacBook and leave the rest alone? because I forgot my password for my family MacBook. Also would it delete the applications on that account if I was to use taht method or would all my applications still be there?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes. And no, it should not delete any applications. Make sure you know what you're doing before trying the method above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB003LL/A
i am trying to do this, but i realize my enter key does not work. how do i approach this problem...and i dont have a usb keyboard around now, so i can try that yet.

Reaction score
Try this:

Reboot the computer.

mount -uw /
shutdown -h now

When you reboot you will get the Apple setup, just as you would after a fresh install. Create a new account and Just delete the old one.

This also works on 2008 White MacBooks - I just used it on mine. Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Try this:

Reboot the computer.

mount -uw /
shutdown -h now

I tried that but when i finished nothing happend

Reaction score
I just (10 minutes ago) used these command to reset my new MBP (bought it second-hand) and it worked great, thanks alot for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.