Multiple browsers, same problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook 2GB RAM OS X v10.5.5
firefox 3 was responding so i uninstalled it, installed it again. multiple times. after a restart, even. i would have to force quit each time. most of the time it would bring up "send to apple" window. does this mean the force quit failed?

i uninstalled a second time, this time with the 3.1 beta version. still no success.

in desperation, i took up camino 1.6.4 hoping it would work. but it didn't.

safari is still a-ok. but i don't know where to start finding a solution.

edit: well, camino works after all. but it takes a good five minutes before a browser window appears. perhaps i'll re-test firefox for the same problem. maybe it will make more sense then, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do not give the OS. Is it Leopard and if so running latest updated version X.5.5? Does the machine have any maintenance utilities running over it to clean caches etc such as Onyx, macJanitor, Leopard Cache Cleaner, Macaroni?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
latests updates of leopard. no maintenance utilities running over it at all.

i ran firefox again. it does run, but will not respond until the browser window appears. the browser window appears only after ten minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You say you've "uninstalled" Firefox a few times. Did you delete all the App Support, Cache and preference files as well? If you've just been trashing the application itself, there's a good chance that whatever was causing the issue is still there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Download and set up AppTrap from here. When an application is moved to the trash. all ancillary files are also deleted.

AppTrap

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i used apptrap to delete all associated files as well. no difference.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, after some more failed attempts (repairing disk permissions, etc) i did install onyx and ran weekly and monthly scripts, and deleted all cache. all is good now. thank you?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Good job. Glad that worked for you. Thanks for coming back and letting everyone know what finally solved the issue as it will help someone else in the future!

If you ever have any other issues, be sure to ask and we will do our best to help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.