How to Subscribe to Newsgroups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to subscribe to newsgroups on a MAC?. On a PC it was part of Mail...... Where is it on a Mac???Thanks....Tommyta..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does anyone know how to subscribe to newsgroups on a MAC?. On a PC it was part of Mail...... Where is it on a Mac???Thanks....Tommyta..

Mac Mail doesn't do newsgroups like Outlook Express on a typical PC. However, you can download and install the free "Thunderbird" mail and news client. Just don't setup the mail side - only use it for newsgroups. Thunderbird is an excellent NNTP application. Download from here:

Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox

If you need any help with setting it up for newsgroups, post back and someone will lend you a hand. :D

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unison is an excellent newsreader, if you're doing anything more than casual browsing. In fact, I like it better than any other newsreader I've ever tried on any platform.

Reaction score
I've been STRUGGLING with getting a newsgroup working properly. I am a new to Mac's but more importantly I'm fairly novice at newgroups. I used a web version of newsgroups on my PC, but I was trained on following a couple of steps of searching, selecting files, creating an NZB, downloading the NZB, running a PAR2 and extracting the files. I barely knew what I was doing...

I should mention that I spent time reading the background to Newsgroups:
Slyck.com - Guide To The Newsgroups - QuickStart but that has not been of any help, I actually have become more confused.

So here's my problem, I can get the application (e.g. Unison) to connect to the newsgroup server but I have no idea how to search or which software I should be using for the search.

I have tried Unison and but couldn't figure out to search, I clicked newgroup folder names that sounded relevant and was able to download content in there but that was not the material I was looking for.

A good example is, I want to download an issue of Weeds Season 4. I have no idea where to begin.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sorry, my friend, but our forum rules prohibit the discussion of illegal activity, including pirating copyrighted material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.