Universal programable remotes

Reaction score
If you have Mac that has remote control, can a programable universal type learning remote be used instead of the Apple remote?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd imagine so. They basically "learn" and then mimic the infrared signals you zap into them, so it would just appear to be another Apple remote to the Mac.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, thanks.
To be more specific, I was wondering about the IR frequency used and the protocol type of the Apple remote.
I used to own a Phillips Pronto Pro RU 970 a few years back and I remember some devices used an uncommon frequency and IR code construction protocol that was outside the range of the Pronto's range.

Edit
Been doing some further searching on here, and found answers. Looks like the answer is yes, at least for the Harmony remotes.

Reaction score
I've seen where MP3 players with a voice record function were used to make a universal remote. Basically wire a IR receiver into a headphone jack and "record" the IR as if were a audio, only the light is changed to audio. Then play it back on a IR Led mounted in another headphone jack. You would of course be able to use any MP3 editer to edit the "wave" and its "volume".

Hacking iPod and iTunes | O'Reilly Media

Still, its a pain to scroll for every function.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes, I used to have one of those Total Remote IR devices. I then moved on to an iPAQ 5450 which had a built in high power 'consumer IR' emitter.
Most PDA's just have a very basic low power IR emitter that is only designed for sending info between devices. For IR control you need higher power IR emitter. The 5450 had a built in remote program called NEVO, but I installed another app that was a emulator for the Pronto Pro remote.
You could use the PDA as if it were a Pronto Pro. It did not store the IR as audio, but as the actual hex code, which could then be edited. Not all learning remotes learn that accurately so once you had captured the IR from your orginal remote you could clean it up.

Have been thinking of getting a new Phillips Pronto remote again, but they are not cheap £400 or more. Now if I want to buy a new Mac as well, the Pronto may have to go on hold and get a cheaper learning remote.

Reaction score
Seriously, if it works like I heard then the MP3 with voice record and $10 of Radio Shack parts would do it. I should do some more digging online.

OP
N
Reaction score
I think after what I have done previously using Pronto Edit software and the full Pronto type remote , and editing of Hex codes and creating nice little macros with multiple codes from different devices, this approach is very basic.

To be able to create a macro of for example "Watch DVD" that selects the TV on, DVD on, AV amp on, selects correct AV channel on TV and amp and opens the DVD drawer, ready for you to pop the DVD in, this approach using an iPOD would seem very limiting. I would need to buy another iPOD any how, so if I am going to buy something, may as well buy either a cheap learning remote or iPAQ5450 and use the free emulator software.

Anyhow...think we are getting a bit off topic here... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I think after what I have done previously using Pronto Edit software and the full Pronto type remote , and editing of Hex codes and creating nice little macros with multiple codes from different devices, this approach is very basic.

To be able to create a macro of for example "Watch DVD" that selects the TV on, DVD on, AV amp on, selects correct AV channel on TV and amp and opens the DVD drawer, ready for you to pop the DVD in, this approach using an iPOD would seem very limiting. I would need to buy another iPOD any how, so if I am going to buy something, may as well buy either a cheap learning remote or iPAQ5450 and use the free emulator software.

Anyhow...think we are getting a bit off topic here... :)

You might give the Harmony line a closer look. My 720 does all this with ease.

OP
N
Reaction score
umm did not realize they were that good. Will have to find a retailer next time I am in England. no chance of even seeing one over here in Jersey

Cheers

Neil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Im guessing you don't mean New Jersey...

OP
N
Reaction score
Nah, the real one, ;D
where NJ got it's name from.

Small island off the coast of France, but we have British passports, and are and British Dependancy ( think that is the term)

Does the Harmony remote transmit RF frequencies for controlling X-10 home control stuff as weel, or is it just IR?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.