USB 2.0 PCI card issue

H

hpoliset

Hi!

I recently bought a IOGEAR USB 2.0 PCI card for my my dual CPU Power Mac G4 running OS X 10.3.8.

I do see my card correctly recognized in System profiler as a USB 2.0 device.
I plugged in a USB 2.0 based flash drive to this port and it even correctly recognized it. It was even transferring files for a while and suddenly, I thought it froze, so I disconnected it without ejecting it.

Now whenever, I connect any USB 2.0 based device to this port the O.S doesn't recognize it. However, if I connect my old USB 1.1 keyboard and mouse directly, they seem to work fine.
So, to summarize I'm not able to utilize the USB 2.0 PCI card to connect to USB 2.0 devices. It just doesn't seem to recognize them anymore. What do I do?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

-Hari

OP
W

Wapa18

maybe you could try reinstalling the driver software that came with the pci card? other than that, i don't know what to tell you.

OP
H

hpoliset

Wapa18 said:
maybe you could try reinstalling the driver software that came with the pci card? other than that, i don't know what to tell you.

Thanks for the reply, but I never installed a driver for it. It just worked straighout plug and play. Is there anyway for me to trace any system files that the O.S keeps for this device and just clean them up?

Reaction score
iogear USB

Hi:

Well, I have a G4 and am having the same problem. I can not understand the Phillipinos iogear has hired and none of them understand a Mac. I have re-installed the software four times and still nothing. As you, the Mac sees the card and an icon comes up on the desktop showing the USB drive. When I try to click to open the drive, the whole system freezes up? I am on 10.4.8 version of Tiger and perhaps that's the issue? I have spent hours and countless "hard boots" trying to resolve this. One time, I actually got the Icon to Open and I was able to transfer over 320 MB of files to it....then it froze up? I have tried the Disk utility but when I try to access the USB External HD Icon...the system totally freezes up...and another hard boot. I went to the iogear website and the only downloads they show are for windows and the only driver that came on the CD is for Mac 10.2. I am beginning to think it's the driver not being compatible with Tiger. Any ideas anyone?

Reaction score
IOGEAR USB PCI Card

Hi Again:

Well, I just spent 20 minutes on-line chatting with IO and they state that with 10.4.8 you have to move the PCI cards around to get a compatible slot? Now (eyebrows raised) I have never heard of such a thing before. It works of it doesn't? All PCI slots should be the same. Mine, with the IOgear card are now full. I am seriously thinking of returning this card and getting an Adapetc card.

I have evn tried reinstalling the driver again (for 10.2.3 is all they have) and the icon come up....I leave it alone, but when I touch it with the cursor to open it, the whole system "Locks-up!" When I plug the external HD into the Mac USB port, it works fine....but slow!

Any last ideas???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
If you plug the enclosure straight in the Mac with no problems(only performance) then I would assume the PCI card you purchase isn't good.

Reaction score
Usb 2.0

Thanks...

I have returned the IOGEAR card and ordered one from Sonnet. I guess one gets what they pay for? Stick with the proven Mac interfaces is the only way to go. Everytime I try buying "outside the envelope" I get "stung!"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I picked up a CompUSA branded 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI card that said Mac OSX on the back and it works great in my G4 Digital Audio.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.